Hurts to drink after work out--any suggestions?

Karen T.
on 4/21/08 12:25 am - Cartersville, GA
I kicked up my workouts from walking to zumba classes (dancing/abs) and the machines at the gym.  As a result it hurts, physically to drink liquids.  It feels like someone is kicking me in the gut when the water (crystal light flavored) hits my stomach. Any thoughts on why it is happening, if it is normal when you start working out, etc?  Thanks for any help/insight you can give. Karen 248.5/190.5/155
Donna M.
on 4/21/08 3:29 am - Mesquite, TX
Maybe you're guzzling it instead of taking tiny sips???  I get that way too sometimes and you're right, it does hurt! Try taking tiny sips (no matter how thirsty you are) and see if that helps.  Also, did you eat anything before working out?  If you don't have anything on your stomach, sometimes the liquid can literally feel like a lead balloon! Keep up the good workouts!! Donna
Donna M.

Surgery Wt: 305        Current Wt: 177.50         Goal Wt:  150      Pounds to Go:  27.50
wjoegreen
on 4/21/08 6:32 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I had that experience at my last 10K water stations.  I think I was swallowing too much too fast and it hurt, which made it hard to keep going and to breath, but it passed eventually.  So I concur with the initial diagnosis,...for what its worth.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MaryS
on 4/21/08 7:18 am - Long Island, NY
On April 21, 2008 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, ktalaga wrote:
I kicked up my workouts from walking to zumba classes (dancing/abs) and the machines at the gym.  As a result it hurts, physically to drink liquids.  It feels like someone is kicking me in the gut when the water (crystal light flavored) hits my stomach. Any thoughts on why it is happening, if it is normal when you start working out, etc?  Thanks for any help/insight you can give. Karen 248.5/190.5/155
Karen, I'd also check the temp, I find drinks closer to room temp go down easier. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 4/21/08 8:18 am - Missoula, MT
Sometimes when I drink soda (I know, most would say it's a no-no) on an empty stomach it really hurts also.  Try drinking plain water.  It could be that the flavor in the water makes it acidic and more likely to cause pain.  I can't drink most juices on an empty stomach either.  Linn
Most Active