YOUR first 5k

liz A.
on 4/18/08 10:19 pm
I was wondering if you all recall your time for your very first 5k you ran....??? just curious.... thanks

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Scott William
on 4/19/08 12:34 am
When I was a kid I used to go the "Orange Classic 10K" in Middletown, NY.  Often, my brother would run it with asperations of breaking 40 minutes.  I think he got to 42.  Anyway, it was a race that attracted many elite runners including Frank Shorter who grew up in the area.   I always wanted to do it but as the fat kid........blah, blah..... Fast forward 15 years.  I had the surgery in Dec 05 and started run/walking soon after.  By June I was up to 3 or 4 miles.  I went to visit my mother in NY and read in the paper that the Orange Classic was the next day.  They offered a 5K and a 10K.  The next morning I went to the high school and signed up for the 5K.  I didn't think I could finish the 10K.  That is my biggest running regret.   Anyway enough of the boredom - 27:27
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
liz A.
on 4/19/08 12:42 am
I am aiming for 40ish.  frankly my goals are to:  show up.  run (walk as little as possible, but as needed)  and FINISH. I'm looking at this one as a learning experience for my NEXT one I run....but of course still want to do well. man, I'm getting nervous about it....

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Sporty Jill
on 4/19/08 12:37 am - Norfolk, VA
My first was with my hubby and it was 31:29....but, my second and thrid were by myself and I did them in 32:08 and 33:01. I now force my hubby to run them with me - haha!

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Chris Zane
on 4/19/08 2:10 am
I did my first one a couple of weeks ago - at about 9 months post-op.  I walked some and finished in 37:30. Good luck.
Linn D.
on 4/19/08 5:52 am - Missoula, MT
My first was a 10k.  It was an annual All-Women's run October 2004 (don't remember the exact date, but always the first Saturday of the month).  My goal was to finish in under an hour and I made it in 58:54.  It was wonderful for me having that first one be only women.  It was an extremely supportive atmosphere and I knew quite a few others in it.  Linn
wjoegreen
on 4/19/08 7:41 am - Colonial Heights, VA
My first was a 10K with 20,500 participants of all capabilities.  I trained walking that took 2 hrs.  In the event, I finished in 1:34 adn jogged about have of it,  incredible adreline rush!  My second event was a 5K and there were only 30 I learned when I got there that morning and they looked like track people.  I ran 27 mins and finshed 24 of 27 finishers. My third was a 10K was 6 months later and I finished in 1:07 with a hill that nearly killed me at the 4 mile mark. My 4th was the Shamrock 8K with Sporty Jill in Va Beach and my fifth was the UKROPS 10K this past april, my anniversary of my first run and my first event in the rain, 1:05:42. Just close your eyes and go.  It is a great rush, grest exercise, great motication and HEY, the US olympic team is never going to call me, but we can do it and it all about personal accomplishment.   I can also tell you others follow our progress and example from afar and we have an impact. Now if we benefit from our exercise efforts, thats great. But to be a positive influence in the life of another, known or unknown to us, that rocks!! You impress others just by doing it.  The strength to sign up for it, the committment to be there and undertake it, the determination to finish, and the personal satisfaction of finshing are all blessings and attributes that are positives to develop , essential to being successful in almost anything we undertake as applied appropriately. You rock and are doing great.  Heres to your continuing success. I'll be watching and waiting for your post race experience. GO LIZ GO LIZ  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Ruth A.
on 4/29/08 10:25 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
***I can also tell you others follow our progress and example from afar and we have an impact. Now if we benefit from our exercise efforts, thats great. But to be a positive influence in the life of another, known or unknown to us, that rocks!!*** Hi I just wanted to say that this statement is TOTALLY true.  I had surgery the same months as someone on my board, and they started running fairly early out.  It is now almost 2 years and I have watched and been inspired by them all this time. It has taken this long, but I have finally joined a gym, and started running.  My goal is to be able to run 1.6k by my second wls anniversary - I'm up to 1.2k This lady has always been in my mind, and I have aspired to join her in running for all this time.  It may have taken almost two years, but I'm finally getting there. So I also want to add a huge THANKYOU to this lady - I'm sure she knows who she is....

Rob S.
on 4/19/08 9:39 am - DE
My first 5k was the Kelly Logan House 5k in March 2006.  It still sticks in my mind because it was my first attempt to participate in a formal race.  It was extremely cold and the course was extremely hilly.  My friend who was convinced that I could run tricked me into particpating. Once I got into the starting gate of around 1,000 runners I knew there was no turning back.  I  ran/jogged/walked the course.  I was high on adrenaline the whole time.  The last stretch was up a bad hill and as I started to break down, there is my friend handing me a cup of water and egging me on.  She wouldn't let me walk or stop, so I took the water and ended up throwing it on my face since I couldn't even sip it at this point.  I jogged up the final hil and crossed the finish line in 36 minutes 48 seconds.  As they tore the number from my shirt I was so thrilled to have completed my first race.  The addiction started that day and I still get a thrill every time a start and finish a race, no matter what the time.  It's the ability to participate that is so cool.  Who would have thought that a 50 year old would get such a kick out of these events. Rob
striveforhealth
on 4/19/08 11:59 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - My first 5K was last November and I did it in 40:22.  I did the couch to 5K program starting in August, and I had never run before that.  My goal was to run the whole way, finish, and not come in last and I accomplished all 3!  Now I'm training for a 10K!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Most Active