Yet another jogging question

Andrea U.
on 4/16/08 10:42 pm - Wilson, NC
It seems alot of us are trying to take up the art of running.. I'm looking at shoes. My current pair are over 4 yrs old, and were not designed for running.  Now that I'm putting alot more shock into my system, I figure I need new shoes (especially since I'm still fairly heavy). There seem to be a ton, but anyone have any recommendations for shoes to look at for us heavier folks?  EVA verus polyurethane?  Carbon versus blown rubber?  Foot Locker versus Dick's (in terms of knowledge)? Thanks.. I appreciate the assistance.
Kevin A.
on 4/17/08 12:53 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
You have to find a shoe store that is just for runners! They should look at the way you walk and run to give you a choice of the best shoes that fit your foot type.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 4/17/08 1:37 am
There are a few companies that make running shoes.  Asics, Saucony, New Balance, Brooks and some that make stylish shoes that you can run in if you have to.  Most recommend that you change your shoes every 500 miles and 300 if you are a heavier runner.  I get new ones about every 4 months because I do about 75 miles a month. The last pair I got is the New Balance1223.  I have also had good luck with the Asics Evolution and Evolution 2.  I can tell you that I have not had any luck at the sporting goods stores.  It felt like I had to break in the shoes there and if you have to break them in, they are no good.  Good new shoes should feel like you are walking on air the second you put them on. I agree with Kevin.  Go to a running shoe store in your area.  You will be surprised at what good service you get. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Andrea U.
on 4/17/08 10:25 pm - Wilson, NC
Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere.  So I gave "Finish Line" a shot.  The mall I went to had, no kidding, 6 athletic shoe stores.  I figured I could go to each until I found a shoe I liked.  I got lucky on my first try. I tried on an Asics, and they were ok.. but he gave me a Brooks (men's actually) and OMG.  I truly cannot wait to start using these shoes!  It was just like you said walking on air the very second they were on my feet. So thanks for that suggestion, because that's how I knew I found my shoes!
Scott William
on 4/18/08 12:02 am
Cool!  I'm glad it worked out.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active