Running/Jogging HELP!!

llben79
on 4/16/08 4:05 am - Buffalo, NY
Hello there! I am new to this forum...so forgive me I just found it!! I just have a question...when I go to the gym...I can go forever on the elliptical machine. Level 10...30-40-50 minutes...I mean FOREVER. But when I get on the treadmill and try to run, I just can't do it. I can run for a MAXIMUM of 3 minutes at a time...and then I have to stop. I'll fast walk for a few more minutes, then try running again. My pace is about 5.2 when I run. I dont understand how to increase my endurance when it comes to running/jogging. Does anyone know what I mean? Any suggestions?
striveforhealth
on 4/16/08 5:49 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - I just started running in the fall, so I'm not an expert - I just have my experience.  Three minutes is great!!  When I started running (I was also doing the elliptical when I started running) I used Couch to 5K (www.coolrunning.com) which had me alternating 60 SECONDS of jogging with 90 seconds of walking.   I didn't get up to 3 minutes of running until the 4th week. Everything I've read says to start out slowly with running so you don't get injured.  Most beginner programs I've seen have you running for a bit then walking for a bit and you slowly increase the time you run and decrease the time you walk.  It worked for me - before last August I had never run and now I'm working towards a 10K!  Good luck! Becky

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/08 8:47 am
Running was tough for me to transition to - I spent all last summer climbing mountains that were over 14,000 feet high, yet I would try to run and feel like I would die! It takes a while to build up the miles, so don't be too hard on yourself. A suggestion would be to follow the Couch to 5K plan - it includes lots of walking and jogging together so you can build up to more miles/time. You can find it here:  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml You might want to slow it down a bit too - I started at about 4.5 mph and am now at 5.8, but it took me 9 months to get to that point. If your heart rate is too high, you'll exhaust sooner - watch your heart rate and try not to get over 85% of your max heart rate. If you need help figuring out what it is, check out this calculator, it's great! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,2290/mode,co ntent/ Take it slowly or you might hurt yourself. It will take a while but you will see the progress, slowly but surely. I started running 9 months ago and now can run 6 miles, no problem. You'll be there too!
Linn D.
on 4/16/08 9:46 am - Missoula, MT
I think a lot of people are surprised by this, but elliptical is not equivalent to running even when you're working hard.  It really will take some time, but it is soooo cool when you get to running for a mile straight, then 2 then a 5k, then........  I did a walk to jog program when I started nearly 4 years ago, and it worked wonders for me.  You'll get there!  Linn
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/16/08 1:00 pm - OH
It's a very slow process but I like a good challenge. I'm doing the couch to 5k and I am loving it. I'm also seeing the weight fly off.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
Scott William
on 4/17/08 1:45 am
I am the opposite.  I have done an 18 mile training run on a treadmill but if I get on the eliptical I feel like an uncoordinated moron.  It feels like my legs are going to shoot through my hips. Anyway, when I started running on the TM, I started at 2.5 MPH for 5 minutes.  I increased the time and speed gradually until I was running 6 or 7 miles easily.  It just took time to build the endurence.  The day I ran 3.1  miles (5K) on the TM I was pumping my fist and people were staring at me.  I didn't care because they didn't know my story.  It was an awesome day.  Stick with it and just try to increase the running ever 30 seconds at a clip.  You will be surprised at how quickly the time gets up there.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
marsheeeee
on 4/17/08 2:13 am - Jackson, MS
Scott:    I've been wondering about whether I should use the treadmill to train or run on asphalt.  I find I can run faster on the treadmill than I can on the street, but I figure that's because asphalt is a harder surface.  I need to build up my speed for the marathon in October, and am doing interval training (I'm doing a 3/2 run/walk) outside exclusively (except when it's thundering and lightening).       I guess I am asking if you do all your training on the treadmill, or do you go outside occasionally?  Can you tell that the treadmill training has helped your outdoor running?      Thanks.  I think this question might supplement the original question, which is why I'm asking on the forum rather than PMing... Marcia
Scott William
on 4/17/08 3:42 am
Over the past year I have done a lot of training on the treadmill due to weather and child care issues.  I do perfer to get out on the road though.  Studies have shown that running outside without the aid of the moving belt is tougher than running on the treadmill.  I have found, however, that I can run faster and mentally, I train harder on the treadmill.  I like to do speed work on the TM rather than outside but if I am just going for a regular run, I'll take the road and trails anytime.  There is just too much world to see to stay inside on the TM.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
liz A.
on 4/17/08 3:52 am

Dr Scott: 

why does my back hurt more when I run outside vs. running on the tread? (seriously)

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

wjoegreen
on 4/17/08 11:51 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
If I may,...and Dr. Scott was one of my heros that inspired me to hit the road after WLS too,....yuo rback maybe hurts more from running outside for a variety of reasons such as, the asphalt and/or sidewalks are a harder surface than the TM, the roadways and curbs we tend to run on are slanted and ever changing angles so you are twisting and turning more during the outside run, and lastly, you may be running too erect.  Try leaning forward just a little bit to take some of the up and down bouncing off your hips and lower back.  I also found synchronizing you right arm motion with your left leg (and threfore left arm with right leg) an amazing rythmn and "zone" provoking technique.  Also try to get your arms flowing fron to back and minize the side to side twisting we sometime get into without thinking.  This is suppose to help form and technique with moving forward and minimze burning excess energy twisting that could be used to move you forward longer and farther (and eventually faster).  Hope any of that is helpful.  Use what you like, disregard the rest. I will also watch for our illustrious Dr. Scott's response for any wisdom he might see fit to impart upon us. Dr. Scott,...you have the floor. 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active