loose skin and running

striveforhealth
on 4/15/08 12:16 pm - Portsmouth, NH
Hi all,    I'm in week 3 of a 10-week 10K running group in preparation for my first 10k.  In some ways it's felt harder than when I was doing Couch to 5K last fall.  My pace is actually slowing down, but I'm not too worried about that.    I have a good amount of loose skin on my arms, I have a large "apron" of skin on my stomach and a lot on my thighs.  PS may be in my future, but who knows.  When I'm running I feel like the skin is bouncing around so much and making me feel "sluggish".  Has anyone else experienced this? I don't remember feeling this when I ran in the fall, and I've lost about 10 lbs since then.    I've thought of getting some "anti-bounce" undergarments but I don't want to feel too bound up.  Do any of you wear stuff when you're running?  Any suggestions?  Thanks! Becky

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Linn D.
on 4/15/08 1:10 pm - Missoula, MT
I feel like that every time I run.  There are a couple things you can do.  I wear a sports bra under a long bra top that has some compression.  Helps hold me in and together.  I don't worry about my arms at all.  A lot of others wear compression shorts under another pair to keep the bottom half more under control.  Even just a small amount of compression might help more than you know and not really cause you to feel so 'bound.'  There are also capri-length compression tights that a lot of other ladies use.  I get too hot, so I just deal with it.  Eventually you won't notice it as much.  By the way, no one cares or even notices like you would.  I don't know if this helps much, but that's what I do and see others do.  Linn
Scott William
on 4/15/08 9:35 pm
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?model_nbr=4 7162&sku=1126-0&SID=8717&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Feeds-_-Yah ooShopping-_-null Here is the women's version of what I wear.  It only helps with the floppy thys and not the stomach.  That I just let fly because when I did cover it, it did feel too constricted, like you said.  I would bet that if I stuck with it, I could have gotten used to the stomach being held down.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 4/16/08 12:26 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Compression garments help tons.   I buy them a size smaller than I normally wear and use them for running, biking and swimming.  They work great!

striveforhealth
on 4/16/08 1:24 am - Portsmouth, NH
Thanks for the input - I'll try those out.  I think trying compression shorts or capris will be a good thing to try.  Do you usually buy yours online, or have you found them at any chain stores like Dick's or Sports Authority?  I'd love to try some on before buying.  Thanks again - I love this forum!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Linn D.
on 4/16/08 3:26 am - Missoula, MT
You can find Under Armor garments almost anywhere and they have different weight fabrics.  If you saw my pic of the tri, I had on a Hind Motion Sensor bra under a mildly compressive long bra top.  That's enough to help my tummy bounce.  In fact, I bought the top at Ross for $11.  I didn't check out where you live, but even in Missoula, MT I can find most anything I need.  I do get my bras online on sale when I can because I already know what size I need.   Linn
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/16/08 12:52 pm - OH
I wear  spanx . I have the capri length and also the thigh or knee length. I wear them most of the time to hold in and massage the loose skin. I have noticed it actually helping to shrink my skin. They do hold the tummy in enough that it doesnt bounce and the skin on the thighs doesn't bounce or rub. They are comfortable and not too hot. Now if I could find something so my butt doesn't bounce!
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
Most Active