dizzy spells

1texasmom
on 4/15/08 9:56 pm
This has been going on for a while now, but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.  However, I have narrowed it down.  I'm dizzy and fatigued after working out.  Dizzy spells begin as soon as I stop (even walking) and the fatigue sets in a few hours later and lasts for days.  I'm almost 5 months out.  I eat about 1,100 calories a day with 80-100g of protein, approximately 30% carbs (mostly fruits and veggies) and I get in tons of fluids.  When I work out I drink a combo of 8oz fruit juice, 16oz water and a sugar free electrolyte powder.  I take Bariatric multi-Vits 2x daily, calcium, B Complex and Biotin. Has anyone else experienced this?  What did you do to get over it?

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

skkaa5
on 4/15/08 10:43 pm - Chepachet, RI
Hi, I have never posted on here before but when I read this I had to.  I went through the same thing when I was about 5 mos out.  I still get dizzy through out the day but the fatigue has passed.  In my particular case I was anemic so I had to take extra iron and the fatigue went away but my dizziness was caused by being dehydrated.  I would get dizzy just standing up sometimes.  I do notice that when I increase the water I don't get them quite as much.  You should ask your Dr. though because they will be able to definately tell you.  You may have a deficiency and some bloodwork would be able to identify that. 
wjoegreen
on 4/16/08 1:44 am - Colonial Heights, VA
1.  potassium for dizziness (banana or pill or both; I do a pill in the morning plus a banana in my morning oatmeal breakfast with protein powder) 2.  B-12 in addition to what you are taking (I do 2500mcg plus the 1200mcg in my liquid B-Complex) 3.  Increase protein to 180 gms which will also probably get you some more carbs.  Jus****ch how you get them so you don't significanty increase your caloric intake.  Recommend whey protein powder mixed with stuff like a fruit smoothie, oatmeal, low-fat yogurt, or protein bars (I use Pure Protein 170-180 calories bars that have 17 gms carbs, 0 sugar, 20 gms whey protein; 4,6, 8 a day depending on if I'm using them as meal replacements or just protein supplement snacks). 4.  Take vitamin C with your multi to improve oxygen to blood process between iron and muscles. 5.  Meals to minimize caloric intake and increas metabolism.  I now eat small 6x a day, rather than trying to eat three meals. (breakfast, mid morning protein snack, lunch, mid afternoon protein snack, dinner, early evening snack ; Note the meals have in essence become snack size. Brkfst: oatmeal with banana and honey w/protein powder, snack 2 protein bars, lunch: half baked potato with ****tail sauce, snack protein bar and Nature Valley honey & oat granola bars, dinner: shrimp w/****tail sauce or baked potato or yam with cheddar chees, snack: protein bar(s 1 or 2). This all includes 4-6 16.9 oz bottled waters a day. Upping my protein and b-12 helped with energy as does the biotin I originally started for recovery from hair loss.  Potassium aided in the dizzyness and weak-kneed feeling after workouts. Good luck, hope this helps. Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active