jogging?

Anita Jo
on 4/15/08 12:58 pm - Elmira, NY
how do i start to jog?. i did try to jog last summer but i would stop when cars went by me.. i am ashamed. i dont know what a jog is. maybe i was going to fast.. anyone can help me?

Linn D.
on 4/15/08 1:24 pm - Missoula, MT
If you're uncomfortable running outside on the roads, you might try finding a track.  A lot of folks have used couch to 5k programs that start with minutes of walking alternating with minutes of jogging.  It's pretty easy to figure out how far you've gone on a track if you're interested in the distances.  There are quite a few free plans you can find online.  I started and continue to do almost all my training on a treadmill.  Walk at a speed of 3-4 mph and try jogging at 4.0-4.5.  If you find that too fast, you can go as fast as you think you're able.  The main thing is working up your jogging minutes slowly enough that you don't end up injured or hating it.  Best of luck to you!  There are a lot of us *****ally enjoy running and doing races.  Linn
Scott William
on 4/15/08 9:29 pm
When I started, it was also on a treadmill.  I had surgery in December and joined a gym in Jan.  I would walk on the treadmill and read a book.  After a while it got boring and I had to increase the speed.  I would run for small clips at a time and resume walking when I was tired.  I did that until I was running three miles.  That was about the time that the weather got nice and I went outside.  The key to running outside was being able to find the roads that aren't congested.  My main road is a death trap but it's only .3 miles until I can get on some back roads.  Even though those drivers still want to kill me, they have less opportunity.  Another good place to run is in the state parks and forests.  No cars there. As far as being ashamed, what is there to be ashamed of?  You lost 120 lbs so be proud of it.  When I run my stomach flops around and if I get into a good rhythm it makes a funny slapping noise with every step.  Big deal!  People don't care what you look like running, they just are impressed that you are.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 4/15/08 9:56 pm - Long Island, NY

I understand what you mean about stopping when cars go by.  I've been running regularly for 2 1/2 years and I still would rather not have anyone see me run.  However, I still get out there and do it.  I believe Scott is right when he said "People don't care what you look like running, they just are impressed that you are".  I know when I see somebody running that only thing I think is that I'm jealous it's not me.  I also agree with the advice about starting on a treadmill - it really does help build up your confidence and you can have control over the speed. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active