Long distance runs & breakfasts ...

kypdurran
on 4/15/08 1:35 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I think those would probably melt like my spoon does causing a BIG mess in whatever pouch I'm carrying them in.   Now if I could find something like a little plastic tube like the gel packs come in...
wjoegreen
on 4/15/08 12:27 am - Colonial Heights, VA
For training runs, I just go.  I wait to go for a run usually an hour after any food, 30 minutes from a protein snack and or water bottle. For events; I try to get some good complex carbs in 12-24 hours ahead so the digestion process has time to stock some carbs before the race.  The day of,...i make a OJ (for glucose), banana (for potassium), egg white, and protein powder smoothie and drink that with my vitamins, two-3 hrs before the race.  I allow time to try to make a trip to the toilet not later than 1 hr before race time.  The last 30-60 min before the race, I will have a protein bar with a bottle water to be sure I am hydrated and got some fuel (my beloved Pure Protein 1.76 oz bar).  I have also found the Sport Beans Sporty Jill turned me on too are helpful.  They are are quick source of carbs and sugar, and small and easy to carry.  I only do one or two because I fear dumping and they taste very sweet. But I am starting to be able to go farther and they are on my new list of resources so I gotta give them some credit real or imagined. I push my body more during training to perform without fluids and supplements so race events are easier.  Although at the last 10K, I found it hurt to swallow.  Not sure what that was all about as it was a first for me.  I also haven't been out for two solid hours yet and am working to get to and exceed that as training for the half marathon I registered for in Nov.  Reading has educated me that I need to condition my body to be use to going for 2+ hours on my long run days to be able to do that well at an event.  So I am confident I have more learning in front of me. Good luck with your contiuned success.  I look forward to your posts and experinces. Crushed any (more) bimbos lately????
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Deanna34
on 4/15/08 12:40 am - Salem, OR
Hi Joe! I'm in the same boat as you are as far as training runs.  My half marathon is coming up in June though so I'm trying to add an additional mile to my weekly long runs each weekend.  I'm so scared!  But I'm also confident that I'll be able to do it.  I just worry about the eating thing because I can feel my body feeling like it needs to eat after about 7 miles or so.  I'll have to experiment with some things and see what works best!  We can do this, right???!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

wjoegreen
on 4/15/08 12:47 am - Colonial Heights, VA
That where I am (somebody say Right to agree,...cause it sounds a little crazy at this point,...right??) I am finding success with the sport beans (jelly bean things).  I had gone 8 mi and 10 mi once each before I had the flu thing 3 times in Jan 08.  I did my first 7.5 miles without walking last Saturday (with our matching time thing ) without anything during the run.  I intend to go out again soon with some beans and see how much damage I can do without melting down.  Per Scott's guidance a while back, I always carry a little money with me with my photo ID and insurance card encase of emergency , accident, or injury.  I can always stop and get something if I max out.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active