So I did my first Tri yesterday...

Linn D.
on 4/14/08 3:13 am - Missoula, MT
I've wanted to do a triathlon since I was in high school (1980's), but really didn't have anyone to push me to try one until I finished the marathon.  Hard to believe that doing a marathon seemed easier to think about doing than a tri.  I was literally peer pressured into signing up, which forced me into the pool.  I really DID start running in order to do a tri and didn't honestly think the greater difficulty would be in the swim until I started thinking about it a couple years ago and realizing how poor a swimmer I really was.  It has improved greatly already and I can't beleive it won't still improve. By the way, I AM proud of myself for changing my clothes and going ahead to finish - especially as mad as I was.  Thanks for your support,  inn
puddin2day
on 4/13/08 11:30 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Linn, You did a great job.  Like Scott said, "For the next one...".  You finished and did your best.  I am so proud of you.   Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

wjoegreen
on 4/14/08 12:20 am, edited 4/14/08 12:20 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Sounds like it was a tremedous experience and your husband was there to share it with you,..and you were beat by it but looking to improve at the next one.  What a great goal.  What an inspirational experience; perseverance, determination, tenacity,preparation, training.  Congratulations on your accomplishment and thanks for sharing that.  You got more guts than I do.  I think I'll just stick to running,...ummmm, jogging.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Susan Larson
on 4/14/08 4:33 am - North Charleston, SC

Linn,  what a great accomplishment.  I'm so proud of you for finishing.  If you had quit you would have regretted it so much and always wondered "what if".  Wow.  I want to enter a triathlon but I just don't know if I can do it or not.  I would be so embarrassed to start something and not fini****  I think it is absolutely wonderful that you did it!!!!!  Can't wait to hear about your next one!

Susan

Linn D.
on 4/14/08 7:58 am - Missoula, MT
Susan, I think everyone who's ever thought about trying one has that one event that scares them off.  For me it was always the swimming.  Now that I know that I really can do it (mostly), I'm convinced I can do it again.  I'm also convinced that anyone can do it if they spend enough time working on the weak areas. Linn
kypdurran
on 4/14/08 11:43 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Don't feel bad about the swim Linn.  You can't prepare for the race environment no matter how much training you do.   You finished and that's ALL that matters.   COMPLETE and don't worry about COMPETING. 

I've done 4 triathlons so far this year and each time the starting horn / cannon blew I forgot how to swim.   In my first tri I got roundhouse kicked in the face 'Chuck Norris' style too at the first turn.   At my quarter Ironman event a few weeks ago I got to the first buoy and thought I was gonna drown.   If I can say anything about the swim the nerves do get better the more events you do.    The last event I did a couple weeks ago I wasn't nearly as nervous as the first tri I did.   Hopefully that will carry over to this weekend when I do the Louisiana Triathlon.  :)   We shall see.  :)

Chad

Most Active