So I did my first Tri yesterday...

Linn D.
on 4/13/08 12:56 am - Missoula, MT
Well, to start out with, my worst fear was realized - I got pulled out of the water on, my final lap no less, and thought I wouldn't be getting an official time.  I ran into the locker room (because I had to completely change), threw my goggles at my bag and cried while trying to decide whether or not to go out and fini****  My poor husband tried to give me a hug on the way in, and I just ran off.  In a couple minutes when I about half regained my composure I went ahead and changed my clothes and went on.  I got into the transition area and put on my shoes and socks, helmet, gloves, and sweatshirt, got on my mountain bike and went on my way.  I told my husband I wasn't through with my fits yet, but I might be by the time the race was over.  Well, I went out and did the bike part.  My gears didn't change easily going up the hills, so it was a struggle, but I made it out and back.  If I hadn't been so upset I might have really noticed the beauty in the ride (frontage road along the river), but my main goal was to go as quickly as I could.  I didn't really check the bike out before the race because I ride it all the time, but I was wearing my running shoes, so the seat was a little too low and harder to keep good strokes.  Well, I made it back to the transition area, got rid of the sweatshirt and other gear and went off to the run.  I've done bricks training before, but it's not the same.  It took over a mile to get comfortable running, and about then is when the hill hits.  It's a very steep hill that is tough.  I was still upset from the swim, so I just walked up the hill.  Anyway, I made it down and started really getting into the running groove.  I finished strong, and was glad it was done.  I finished in just under 2 hours.  As it turns out, I wasn't given a "no time" for the swim portion since I'd already turned to do the last lap, but I didn't find this out until I saw the results last night.  So... I did have an official time.  Swim: 27:29, Bike: 58:23 (whi*****luded both transitions), Run: 32:37 for an overall time of 1:58:19 and rank of 160/182.  There were also several  who didn't receive times. For the next one I do, I would like to have a road bike and a tri suit that zips so I can use an extra swim top under it and have enough support for the run also.  My swim to bike transition was close to 10 minutes - partly deciding if I should even finish, and partly trying to put tight clothes on a wet body. I was very upset yesterday (mostly at myself) but have decided that it was a good learning experience and that if I have a chance to take some swim lessons and get better equipment, it would go much faster. There were some photos taken, but I haven't seen them yet.  I don't wear a cap or put my hair up so I'm sure I look like a wet rat, but I'll see about posting them when I can. Thanks for listening, Linn
Chris Zane
on 4/13/08 5:40 am

Great job Linn.  Way to hang in there.  What were the distances for each leg?

Can you explain what you mean by "pulled out of the water"?  Was it open water?  Were you in distress?

Anyhow, congratulations on your finish.

Linn D.
on 4/13/08 6:35 am - Missoula, MT
The swim was in a pool.  Heats were every half hour with 4 people to a lane.  If you weren't finished with the swim by 28 minutes you were asked to leave the pool so the next heat could get going.  I thought that since I didn't finish by the 28 minute mark and was asked to leave the pool I wouldn't get a time.  But since I was on my last lap, turned around mid-lap and got out at the right place, would have finished before 30 minutes, I ended up with an official time.  I didn't know that until I looked closer at the results last night and found that I did have an official time.  I looked at the rules more closely after that and realized that I would get a time if I WOULD have finished by 30 min.  I guess I threw a fit for nothing.   Anyway, it was quite the learning experience.                                                                          The distances were 1000 yd swim, 20k bike (12.4 mi), 5k run.   Linn
Rob S.
on 4/13/08 7:48 am - DE
Linn, You did great!  Swimming is terrible.  That's why I'm sticking to duathalons (run-bike-run).  I would never have tried it with a mountain bike.  Too much effort.  I finished near the end of the pack my first time, but it really is a different crowd that do these events.  Most have a pretty heavy investment in their clothing and equipment.   Now you have your PR, cut your transition down by seven minutes and you are into a really good time (plus get yourself a real road bike). You probably need to try it again just to see if you enjoy doing it or not. Good luck. Rob
Linn D.
on 4/13/08 8:36 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Rob. I did see A LOT of very expensive road bikes, and I also got the impression that the crowd was much more competitive and aggressive than any I'd seen at running events.  There's a swap meet tomorrow that I'm going to try to make to see if I could afford any of the used bikes there.  I agree that it would make a big difference.  I have the legs to bike, so I'm thinking that if I had a better bike I'd be much more competitive in my age group.  I think I'm more than capable of a sub- 1:45 race (even at my current fitness level), and my running is only getting faster.  I thought it was funny, though, that I had a mountain bike for a road race and road shoes for a trail run.  Even through my fits, I was able to see the humor in that!  Thanks again for the encouragement.  I haven't felt like a failure in anything I've tried in quite some time, so it could have been much worse.     Linn
JMC
on 4/13/08 10:01 am - Ellicott City, MD
Linn,  After having a 175 pound weight loss, I competed in my first Iron Girl Triathlon last summer at 55 years of age.  I set some goals for myself before the race.......1) please let me finish; 2) please don't let me come in last; 3) please let me finish in less than 3 hours; and 4) please don't let me have to stop and go to the bathroom in the middle of the race.  I am happy to say.....I reached all of my goals and finished in a respectable 2:30:18.   ( My recollection is that I finished around the middle of the pack for my age group.  I also got a better time than  several hundred people in their 30's and 40's. ) I don't know about you but before WLS, I would never have imagined participating in something like this.  For heavens sake, I know you might have been a little disappointed that things didn't go picture perfect in your mind, but YOU COMPETED IN A TRIATHLON, GIRL     !!!!!!!     Give yourself a pat on the back.......big kudos to you by all means.  Could you have ever imagined yourself doing this before your weight loss?   I have signed up to do three more triathlons this season and the only goal I am setting for myself is to improve on my time from last year.   Don't beat yourself up for heavens sake.  What you accomplished is something to be proud of.  I used a hybrid bike last year and I did get a road bike for Christmas.  It made of difference of 9 minutes in my time on the same bike route so I can't wait for the race this year.    Have fun with this.  Think of all the people that stay home and are too afraid to even try to do something like this.  Good luck with your endevours this year.  Joann
Scott William
on 4/13/08 9:29 pm
Way to go Linn.  The best part of the report was, "For the next one I do".  Congrats on your finish and I can't wait to hear about the next one. The only thing keeping me from the tri's is the swimming and the biking.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 4/14/08 11:46 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

You can literally spend $15K on equipment (mostly bike crap) to shave off a couple minutes here and there.   Get a good entry level road bike, some clip on aero bars, some cleat or clipped pedals, bike shoes and lastly, get your bike tri fitted.  Find a local bike shop to do a tri fit for you.   

If I had to choose any one piece of equipment on my equipment list that made a drastic difference it would be my bike shoes and clipped pedals.    Ask anyone that rides and they will probably agree.   Your efficiency improves SO much. 

Oh and welcome to the addiction that is triathlon.  :)

Chad

Linn D.
on 4/15/08 12:22 am - Missoula, MT
Chad, Thanks for the encouragement.  I actually tried to register for another one yesterday.  It was full already but I'm on the waiting list, so we'll see what happens when August rolls around.  It's funny, I do have bike shoes that I use in spin classes and I know my pedal stroke is much better there than it was on Saturday.  I'm looking for a bike, but it will require some saving up.  It's not real high on the list of priorities at the moment. There are one or two other tri's in relatively close proximity that I may be able to do, but I don't think I'll do another until I can get a bike.  I think that's still a few months away, but I want to do more and see how I improve. Thanks again, Linn
MaryS
on 4/13/08 11:26 pm - Long Island, NY
Linn, Congratulations on hanging in there and finishing!  You are my hero - I'd love to do a triathlon.  Did you ever imagine you would be able to do one? Congrats again! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active