Curves

Michelle P.
on 4/12/08 4:16 am - Glens Falls, NY
I was wondering if anyone belongs to Curves or has belonged? I went a few years ago and liked it, but have heard it is not intense enough after a few months and have heard it works great -
Any thoughts? I considered joing the YMCA also.

Thank you!

Michelle...                        

Chris Zane
on 4/12/08 11:50 am
I belonged to Curves for a while prior to surgery.  During that time, I traveled some and went to a lot of different locations.  The main thing I would say is that they are HIGHLY variable depending on the owner/operator and the clientele.  The one I belonged to had a fantastic owner - she actually won Owner of the Year (or whatever the award is called).  She kept the machines at a really high resistance level and there was a group there that was highly interested in intense workouts. On the other hand, I've been to ones that have such little resistance that I could move them with my pinky.  Also, a lot of the places (in my opinion) are kind of just a gabfest - a bunch of people barely working out and talking constantly.  Not a very challenging or motivational environment for me. So, I would try to get a week or two pass and go try it out at the times and days that you are most likely to go and see what the machines and the people are like.  If it seems like a good workout and that you are likely to do it, then go for it.  If it doesn't feel right, try somewhere else. When I left Curves, I joined the Y, mostly because I wanted to swim, but also just for a change of pace.  I did really like Curves - it was convenient and not too expensive.  I might go back some day.
~ Stylz ~
on 4/13/08 7:43 am - North of Boston, MA

even though I agree with what the poster above me said and being a curves member myself I do have to say it is a social 1/2 hour for most.  There is a "high intensity workout" the owner/mgr will show you if you attend 3 x a week for 3 months that increases your calorie burn and intensity of muscle burn.   I like curves as a warm up quite honestly and go to a gym after doing my half hour at curves for circuit training and 30-45 min of cardio.  The owner where I attend seems very clique with other members and over heard me in the stretch room that i go to a gym after curves..  I dont think shes too happy with me saying it as most times curves gets a bad wrap for not being a "real workout".  I can say I have lost inches there, but if you've thought of going to the Y as opposed to curves remember that at the Y you'll have more options for weights, cardio, swim and exercise classes.  On the other hand, if you're looking for a quick workout 30 minutes 3 times a week, curves is a good option! good luck

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Michelle P.
on 4/13/08 7:59 am - Glens Falls, NY
THank you for your input, I probably will join the YMCA.

Michelle...                        

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/13/08 12:30 pm - OH
I tried Curves a few years ago. I became board with it and really didn't feel like it gave me a good workout.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
missrocky
on 4/13/08 2:17 pm - Sherman Oaks, CA
RNY on 02/25/08 with
I used to work there...like any and every workout- it's what you put into it!
DSC00052-1.jpg picture by preciouspinkxxx  DSC00008.jpg picture by preciouspinkxxxwls5.jpg picture by preciouspinkxxxHPIM0194-3.jpg picture by preciouspinkxxxzoo2.jpg picture by preciouspinkxxx
The Many Faces of WLS

Jean M.
on 4/14/08 8:46 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I've belonged to Curves for almost 2 years.  At first, I liked it because I had low expectations of myself and it was manageable for me.  However, it never seemed to make any difference to my muscle development, I never lost inches doing it except by losing weight as well, and now that I am more fit, it just isn't challenging enough and I am getting bored with it.  I just joined a regular health club in town which costs just $2/mo more than Curves and has a zillion weight machines, cardio machines, and a variety of exercise classes.  I would have preferred the YMCA in order to ge****er aerobics, but the nearest one to me is 30-40 min from my home and I didn't think I would go faithfully if I had that distance to travel. So if I were you, I would chose the Y over Curves. Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active