Feellike giving up! (Rant)

swtxgal66
on 4/12/08 2:41 am - Spring, TX
I went from being a couch potato to working out 6 days a week for at least an hour over the last 18 months and I had lap band surgery 14 months ago. I have lost 50 pounds on a GOOD day. I met with a trainer at the gym today, had a brief work out and a sales pitch. To be honest, I can barely afford my gym membership and the gas it takes to get back & forth. Hiring a trainer is out of the question. At the end of our meeting I sat in my car and cried. I am trying so damn hard and I feel like I am getting very little results for all my hard work. I do an hour of intense cardio 3 days a week and an hour of weight training 3 days a week. I haven't lost a single pound since October. According to the trainer I met with I have been doing everything all wrong.  Muscle weighs more than fat, 10 pounds of muscle burns calories at rest, BLAH>>BLAH>>BLAH!   The amount of effort I am putting into diet and exercise is turning into an obsession and I just feel like it isn't worth it anymore.  Anybody else ever feel this way? What did you do?

My band was removed due to a slip and replaced 7/3/08

cbrock1592
on 4/12/08 6:00 am - New Haven, CT
Working out has become my 2nd job =) I workout 6x per week.  I do workout with a trainer 3 of those days and do cardio the other 3.  I also see a dietician.  I was told I was workout out too hard and not eating enough.  I had my RMR tested, VO2 Max done and now I eat about 2000 calories a day and workout in my fat burning zone. I haven't lost alot, but I do have alot of muscle on my body.  Although I haven't seen the weight change, I have lost a size.   At this point I have just accepted it and I do get frustrated, but what does save me is the fact that I am more fit now than I have ever been, will run my first 5 mile race in June and I feel great. Don't give up!

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

swtxgal66
on 4/13/08 7:08 am - Spring, TX
Good for you!   I bet finishing that race will feel great!  I have always looked at people who run and jog at the park and on the treadmills and thought that looks so great. I never thought I could do it. I am taking baby steps jogging, I am not sure my body is made for it but I am still trying.

cbrock1592
on 4/13/08 7:58 am - New Haven, CT

You will get there.  I just started running in November/December and am doing fairly well now.   Also - just to keep tabs on how you are doing, you may want to get a body fat scale.  Its brought some sanity back to me.  My body fat is in the normal range although my BMI still has me overweight.  I don't look at the numbers anymore. Don't give up =)

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/13/08 12:43 pm - OH
I just started the couch to 5k running program and it is awesome. It is a gradual transition into running. You might look into it. I lost almost 5 pounds this past week on it. Someone in the forums suggested it because I was interested in running.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
swtxgal66
on 4/16/08 11:08 am - Spring, TX
Is there a website or something? Did you used to run when you were younger? Back (WAY back...when I was skinny I couldn't run) but I really would like to give it another shot.

puddin2day
on 4/12/08 3:41 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I know how you feel.  But here's something that you need to remember... how do you clothes feel?  Are they tight?  Are they loose?  Health wise you got to be better.  You cannot just go by the scale.  I bet you are so toned up, you have muscles in places not known to you. The scale is just one factor regarding losing weight. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

swtxgal66
on 4/13/08 7:09 am - Spring, TX
Thanks. Your right. I haven't exactly lost any sizes lately either but I have moved some stuff around in all the right places!

liz A.
on 4/13/08 12:15 am
yes I'm sure I have felt this way. especially this past week when I have been slacker mc slackerton with my exercise, & lose a couple lbs.....wtf. BUT conversely, I feel worse about myself cause of not exercising, even though the scale did what I "want". sooo,  I guess maybe my suggestion is for us to focus on how we  FEEL when we do exercise.... I feel way more confident when I do exercise...I bet you feel the same....? p.s.  I have kind of mixed feelings on trainers.  there is soooooooooo much info out there.  if you line up 10 trainers.  I bet they would each tell you something different.  does your surgeons office have an exercise person you could see?  or one they recommend?

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

swtxgal66
on 4/13/08 7:13 am - Spring, TX
lol. the most weight I have lost in a pretty long time was when I was on vacation and eating more and not going to the gym...wtf?  Makes me wonder..but I know that doesn't work for long..thats how I ended up here! I do feel better and I must admit the exercise has reduced a lot of stress. I just want the damn scale to move!  Your right about the trainers. I have read a lot online and talked to several and they all have conflicting info. I guess its just like WLS or anything else..everyone is different. Thanks

Most Active