Bicycles

LSteph
on 4/9/08 11:32 am - IL

Can anyone give me some advice about buying a new bicycle? I'm not at goal yet, so I don't want to spend alot of money until I can buy a better custom bicycle, but want to get started this summer. I'm looking to spend < $200. Any particular brands that you could recommend, or places to get a good deal?? Do you know anything about a "touring bicycle"? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lea

Highest Weight: 303
Current Weight: 203
100 lbs gone forever!!

Linn D.
on 4/9/08 11:47 am - Missoula, MT
In your price range, you might be better off going to one of your local bike stores and see if there is a used bike board.  Most shops would be willing to check out the bike to be sure it's in good working order for little or no cost.  Others on this board might have better ideas. Linn
stitch0102
on 4/9/08 10:11 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
I'm not sure what your weight is now but you may need a bike that's sturdier.  $200 isn't much for a good bike.  You may not want to pay now and then buy another one later.  The idea of a used bike from a bike shop is a good one though.  I have a Giant brand bike and it was about $350.  You sit more upright and it's much more comfortable.  A touring style bike will have you leaning over the handlebars and is harder on the upper body and back.  It also depends on what type of riding you want to do.  Find a good bike store that also does their own service and ask a lot of questions.  Biking is great exercise.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

donnainhouston
on 4/9/08 11:56 pm - League City, TX

When I first started biking I didn't want to make a huge investment, however I did want to make sure that what I rode was going to be comfortable. 

Here's what I did:  I went to my local bike store and tried out a few bikes --- didn't know if I wanted a mountain bike, touring bike or road bike.  They let you test ride them. 

Once I decided, I let them tell  me what size I needed.  I bought my first bike on craigslist.org.  Soon after I realized that I enjoyed biking and was willing to make an investment, and found an entry-level Specialized road bike on clearance for $300. A couple years later I stepped up, after I knew I had.  Hopefully this helps! 

Donna

kypdurran
on 4/11/08 7:49 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Touring bike would probably be considered a road bike.  There are a few different types of bikes and you really would want to know what kind of riding you planned on doing before making an investment.    Everyone gave you good advice about starting at your local bike shop looking for a good used bike.  Also try craigslist.org in your local area.  That's where I found my last bike and got a great deal on it. 

1) Mountain Bike - Big, fat tires built for traction and offroad riding.  

2) Road Bike / Touring Bike - These bikes are built for the road.   They will have skinny tires and are usually very lightweight.   The main difference between a road bike and a touring bike is that the touring bike generally will have mounts for bags to carry stuff around and the braking is a little different because of the greater weight.

3) Hybrid Bike - A hybrid is basically a mountain bike which has bigger wheels and narrower tires.   The tradeoff is you aren't as stable offroad as a fully fledged mountain bike but you are more efficient over longer distances.

4) Granny "Cruiser" Bike - Recreational riding on flat terrain.   Most of the time they won't have gearing so hill climbing probably isn't a good idea.

5) BMX -  If you aren't a male and you are over 12 years old a BMX bike probably isn't a good choice. :)

6) Triathlon / Time Trial Bikes - My favorite.   A variation on the road bike.   Tri bikes are sleek, lightweight and allow for a more aggressive aerodynamic position when riding. 

LSteph
on 4/12/08 10:55 pm - IL
Thank you everyone....that was great advice. I didn't think about going to a bike shop in my area to find a used bike, or to look on craigs list...think that's what I'll do. As you can see, I've lost about 60 lbs so far and am not at goal. I want a fairly good quality bike so that I get comfortable riding, but don't want to spend top dollar since I've got about 100 more lbs to lose. There are alot of forest preserves and bicycle trails in the Chicago area and I can't wait to get started.

Lea

Highest Weight: 303
Current Weight: 203
100 lbs gone forever!!

Most Active