Biathlon and Triathlon participants

MaryS
on 4/8/08 2:17 am - Long Island, NY
Ok, all this talk about triathlons has been getting to me.  I found this biathlon in May in Queens that I'm thinking about doing. http://www.nytc.org/dbacceptance.cfm?ID=5 So, what can you tell me about the transitions, clothing, etc?  The rules look scary (i.e., keeping a distance of 3 bike lengths).  I've heard horror stories about the swimming portion of triathlons but I haven't heard much about the biking portions.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 4/8/08 4:46 am - DE

A lot of random thoughts.  The 3-distance bike length is strictly to prevent you from drafting on another pariticipant.  Not a big deal, they just want you to use the same amount of energy as everyone else. For duathalons or biathlons, where you are not swimming the transitions are much easier.  You can wear the same clothes to bike and run, so the only change is your shoes.  The main thing is to try and have some unique marker at your transition spot so that you can track down your spot easily.  For fast transitions, you can attach your shoes to your bike and put them on once you jump on your bike after running through the transition area.  It is actually fun to see how fast you can get through the transition area. Also, get ready for pure intimidation at your first event.  These people spend thousands on their helmets, bikes, and clothing.  But you should try  it anyway, it is a lot fun to finish. Rob

MaryS
on 4/10/08 10:22 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks Rob.  I don't have to get ready for the intimidation - I already am just thining about registering for the race.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Linn D.
on 4/8/08 10:59 am - Missoula, MT
I wish I had something to tell you, but my very first triathlon is this coming Saturday.   I'm a little nervous about it also, but it's too late now.  I'm already committed... Linn
MaryS
on 4/10/08 10:23 am - Long Island, NY
Linn, How exciting - best of luck!  I can't wait to hear about it. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

kypdurran
on 4/9/08 2:57 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Just finish and have fun.  That's all that matters.   Complete and don't worry about competing.  

The 3 bike length rule is to prevent drafting but it seems like each of the 4 events I've done this year people blatantly violated that rule.  I had some clown drafting on me last weekend for a few miles.  

Swimming... Oh swimming.   All I can say about the swim is that you get better with practice and open water swimming is NOTHING compared to pool.  If you can train in open water you will do much better in open water events.  

I could go on and on.    If you have any other questions lemme know. :)

Chad

MaryS
on 4/10/08 10:24 am - Long Island, NY
Chad, Thanks, good advice - "just finish and have fun" - that is how I take my runs, so I need to remember that if I sign up for this event.   Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Most Active