I ran my first 10K!

Susan Larson
on 4/7/08 3:32 am - North Charleston, SC
I haven't posted on this board until now but I read the posts all the time and get so much good information and motivation from it.  I now have to be an active member of this board because so many things have changed for me since surgery and I feel like you will understand and continue to motivate me.   I had RNY on 11/13/06 and my starting weight was at least 233 lbs and I wore size 18-20 clothes.  I'm 5'7" and I have a solid frame.  My weight now is around 138-140 and I wear a size 4!  This has been an incredible journey and I am so thankful I was given the opportunity. Anyway, I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K on Saturday in Charleston, SC.  My official time was 1:21:32.  I was so happy to actually finish the race and come in under 1:30:00.  I stopped running when I hit the incline on the bridge and walked until it leveled out.  Then I ran/walked for the next mile or so and finished the last 1.5 miles running.  I've never run that distance in my life!   I am planning on completing a super sprint triathlon in Myrtle Beach this year also.  As far as running though, I plan on sticking with 5k's for a while until I can increase my endurance.   Thanks for all the motivation to keep me moving! Susan
gorditabonita
on 4/7/08 4:06 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
That is so awesome. Congratulations!
kypdurran
on 4/7/08 5:09 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Congrats Susan.  Great job!
Linn D.
on 4/7/08 8:47 am - Missoula, MT
That first one will stick with you forever!  My first was an all women's run, and it was such a thrill to finish! Congrats to you, and keep it up!  It's fun to see the progress. Linn
frueta
on 4/7/08 11:10 am
Congratulations on the 10k, it is a big accomplishment.  Good luck with the sprint triathlon, I will be doing my first one this summer as well. 
wjoegreen
on 4/7/08 12:43 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
That is soooooo awesome!!! Way to go!!  Great first time too.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
puddin2day
on 4/7/08 1:43 pm - Los Angeles, CA

Susan, That is great!!  Congrats on the 10K.  I can't wait to hear about all of the future runs. Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

Susan Larson
on 4/7/08 10:34 pm - North Charleston, SC
Thanks everyone!  I am so happy about finishing it and I think my time was pretty good too.  At least for a first time run.  I'm already looking into some 5Ks that I can do.  I never, never, never thought I'd want to run.  I was in the Navy for 6 years and hated the run PT.  I swam it when I had the option.  Now I'm running for the fun of it.  Go figure!! Susan
Scott William
on 4/7/08 10:57 pm
Congrats on your first 10K finish.  Here's to many more!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 4/8/08 1:55 am - Long Island, NY
Susan, Congratulation on all your success and completing your first 10k! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active