6th Half Marathon Done Today! NY PR!!!

MaryS
on 4/6/08 9:33 am - Long Island, NY
Today I did the More Half-Marathon in Central Park.  More puts on a half and full marathon for women only.  You have to be over 40 to enter the race unless you partner with somebody over 40.  Lucky me - I meet the over 40 criteria.I couldn't believe it when I signed up for this race and realized that it would be my 6th half marathon! I was apprehensive about the weather.  It was supposed to be beautiful today and the forecast changed to include rain.  Luckily it never rain and it ended up being fairly decent weather for a long run.  I was also concerned as I didn't get to train as much as I would have liked.  In addition, despite my asking my trainer on Friday to take it easy on my legs everytime I get up to walk after sitting for a while I walk like I just got off a horse!  I was concerned about how my poor sore legs would hold up during the race.  When I got to the park, I found out my GPS watch wasn't charged, so I had no idea of my pace during the run.  I felt really good the first lap of the park.  It was great compared to last week.   I always love these races that loop around the park.  At the 11 mile marker the marathoners starting looping us - it is just amazing the way they can run!  So, after thinking I had a few thing going against me, I had a half-marathon record for race don't in NY.  My only half marathon done at a faster pace was in Dublin, Irelend.  My time was 2:34:27 - I am really happy about that!  Hopefully if I stay uninjured this year I will see more improvement.  My goal is to do under 5 hours for the NYC Marathon in November.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 4/6/08 1:25 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Mary that is great.    You are really doing things aren't you?  Despite the setbacks , you did a job well done.      Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Scott William
on 4/7/08 2:21 am
Way to go Mary.  6 half marathons - Great stuff.  That is probably the best race to consentrate on when concerned about weight issues.  Good choice.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 4/7/08 3:19 am - DE
Great job, Mary!  You have certainly become one of the veteran distance runners on this forum.  I hope to get in another  half-marathon this year before the Disney marathon in 2009.  Stay healthy and active! Rob
Linn D.
on 4/7/08 8:42 am - Missoula, MT
Yea for you, Mary!!!! Yep, stay healthy.  I was quite a bit faster a couple years ago before the hamstring pull, and just was able to get back to it last summer.   Linn
kypdurran
on 4/7/08 10:50 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Great job Mary.   You'll hit your goal of 5 hours no problem.
frueta
on 4/7/08 11:13 am
Mary, what a great accomplishment.  Congratulations!!!!
Most Active