UKROPS 10K Race Report

Sporty Jill
on 4/5/08 11:08 pm - Norfolk, VA
The UKROP's 10 was held in Richmond this past weekend.  There were 30,000 registered runner (I think just over 24,000 actually showed up because of the rain....ok....DOWN POUR). My personal goal was under 63 minutes.  I felt good that I could do that, but might be iffy with the rain and there being so many people out there.

I woke up to an overcast sky, but had hopes of it staying overcast insead of rain....

But, those hopes were dashed as soon as we got into position to run out.  There were SO many people that I was pleasantly surprised that I found Joe (JoeGreen from the board) in the crowd.  So, as we stood there waiting for our turn, getting reved up...it starts to rain.  Not sprinkle, but RAIN - UGH!!!!!  It rained a good 15 - 20 minutes.  Fortunately, my shoes weren't wet, so I was fine and raring to go.

At 9:34, we were told to take off......and off we did.  My Ipod didn't start - ACK!  So, my first few seconds were messing with that...ok...now I'm getting into the groove.....

As soon as I hit mile 1, it starts to rain again...UGH!  But, it's not too bad.....I can deal with it.  Joe was just behind me, but I wasn't sure where as I cannot see him.  But, I know it's not too far.....

About mile 1.5, Joe passes me and takes off.  WOW!  Impressive.....he's just in the zone and is doing it!  Go, Joe, Go!

I see my son around mile 2.  It was a great feeling seeing him on the sidelines cheering me on....He took my picture - it's not very good, but he did that for me.

About the 3 mile mark, my Ipod tells me that I am half way there - YEAH!  The 2nd half is ALWAYS easier than the 1st half, because that's when you realize that you actually feel good.  But, it's pouring it's rear off now....UGH!  Keep on going......

About mile 4, I see Joe.....I pass Joe......I step in a puddle and have wet feet - ACK!

About mile 5, the sun is starting to come out...the crowds are overwhelming.....it's AWESOME the support we have received, I've stepped in 3 more puddles......

Crossing the finish line is emotional.  

Another milestone...................

Now....find the bathroom......

I didn't meet my personal record goal of under 63 minutes...but that's ok.  I just wanted to finish and have fun....which I did...... My finish time was 1:05:43  Race Pace: 10:34.5 Placed: 11482 of 24055 Middle of the pack (or upper 50%).....I'm happy......

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Deanna34
on 4/5/08 11:32 pm - Salem, OR

Awesome job, girlfriend!!!!  You totally rocked that one out ... and in the rain and everything!  I bet a nice hot shower was great after that one!  And that is a fantastic finish time ... you ROCK!!!

--Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 4/5/08 11:34 pm
Way to go Jill.  Top half finish - Great! Do you guys have any races down there with less than 10,000 runners?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
puddin2day
on 4/6/08 1:10 am - Los Angeles, CA
Jill, Despite everything, you did very well.  Don't worry about that personal goal , you will make it on the next run.  You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Rob S.
on 4/7/08 3:22 am - DE
Way to go Jill!  I can't imagine that many racers.  I like small numbers myself.  Nice pace and finish. Rob  
Most Active