I need exercise shoe help

Loretta B.
on 4/4/08 4:26 pm - NC
I have been very careful about what kind of shoes I wear for over 11 years now since I had plantar faciatis.  -- I saw a podiatrist a few years ago.  He wanted to make shoe inserts for me.  But I didn't think it would be that helpful when I was losing weight rapidly.  Now I hope I will get the scales going down more rapidly again.  -- I had one pair of shoes when I went to Curves.  I had no problems with the shoes there.  I thought they would be fine at the gym I just joined.   -- But at the new gym my feet hurt when I was on the exercise bike.  I bought another pair of tennis shoes this week.  This time they were Reeboks.  I wore them today at the gym.  The arch support seemed to be good when I put them on at home.  But my feet hurt in the same place again in the arch both on the treadmill and the exercise bike. My everyday shoes feel fine.  But I don't wear street shoes into the gym.  -- I hate buying shoes that fit in the store and then don't feel good at the gym.  -- Does anyone have a solution?  Are there any stores that sell shoes and guarantee the fit?  I don't know what to do.  I really need to use the gym and burn those calories!
Chris Zane
on 4/4/08 11:22 pm
Go to a running stor in your area - you can probably google, running and your town name or nearby town.  The place I go to here will let you wear the shoes for 30 days and still return them. Also, they should sell some inserts - those have done wonders for me.  I also have plantar faciitis.  My doctor made me $300 custom inserts that killed my feet.  The ones I buy at the running store for $15 make my feet feel wonderful, I wear them all the time. My doctor and the running store recommended Brooks Addiction for the plantar faciitis.  They have a solid heel - look at them and compare the heel to other running shoes and you'll see what I mean. Good luck to you.
Loretta B.
on 4/7/08 3:05 pm - NC
Thank you.  I will check it out.
Linn D.
on 4/5/08 12:01 am - Missoula, MT
I agree with the previous poster.  Although they have the same brands at Foot Locker, they don't have the same quality shoe you'll find at a running store.  I use Road Runner Sports and have never had a problem returning a shoe within their time frame.  They also have a website and a number you can call to have someone assist in fitting a shoe for you. Just as an aside, though, I'm a mild overpronator, and when I buy new shoes they always hurt for about the first 20 minutes or so of a run because they're forcing my feet in the right position whereas the old shoes weren't able to do it anymore.  I know they have more than running shoes at most of those stores, so you'd be better off going to the specialty store where they carry the top of the line shoes and have good return policies. Linn
Loretta B.
on 4/7/08 3:06 pm - NC
Great advice.  Thank you.
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/7/08 2:18 pm - OH
I had really bad planter facitis at one time. I tried everything.Dr wanted to make me custome orthotics too but I just couldnt see paying that kind of money. I found these gel shoe inserts from dr sholls made for women only. they are clear and have a purple spot for the heel and great arch support. I wore them for 2 years and no longer have problems with my heels or arches. They also helped my knees and leg pain.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
Loretta B.
on 4/7/08 3:16 pm - NC
I see those in the store all of the time.  I can easily check them out.
Taffydoll
on 4/7/08 2:37 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
 Plantar faciatis are bundles of nerves bunching together on your foot. It can be caused by improper footwear for the use, worn out footwear, or just by mother nature playing dirty.  As was suggested, visiting a store dedicated to runners, not a chain/big box store, is the best bet. Bring in your current footwear, as well as a pair of older shoes. The wear on these shoes can tell a lot about what is going on with your stride and if supportive footbeds are indeed required.  To find a store check out running groups and see who is sponsoring them. Check with the local sports medicine doctors and ask for recommendations for a good athletic store, as well as a good podorthist or podiatrist that deals with runners and athletics. Either one of them will be able to point you to the right direction.  Don't get hung up on a model or brand of shoe. There are lots of various styles, and all fit differently. You want a shoe that gives you good support in the arch. Even though the shoe you bought seem to have good arch support, take the foot beds out and push down on it with your thumb to see how much it compresses. If you can't take the footbed out, it's best to walk away from the shoe.  Any good shoe store will allow you to take your new shoes home and wear them to ensure they are fitting well and offering the support you need. Usually the caveat is you can't wear them outside. The gym shouldn't count as "outside".    Listen to what the shoe fitter says. Odds are they know a lot more about this topic than you do. If they are pushing you of course it's your right to walk. In my experience, however, the people that work in the better quality stores really know their stuff and want to make sure you are happy with your purchase. They will ask questions, try to find out the end-use of the shoe, and point you to where you should be looking.  Most good stores should also be able to customize the insoles or modify your shoe to better fit you if need be.  However, if you want a quick fix for your Plantars, take off your socks and put a dab of lipstick right where the pain is the worse. Put on your shoes and stand up. Take off your shoes and find the spot where you left the lipstick. Take a sharp knife and cut a hole in the insole.  Voila, instant relief.  Hope this helps. I have many, many years of boot and shoe fitting so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Good luck!!!
Sandy_SIGGY.jpg

One love, one blood, one life, you got to do what you should.
One life with each other: sisters, brothers.
One life, but we're not the same.
We get to carry each other, carry each other.
One, one.

Loretta B.
on 4/7/08 3:04 pm - NC
Thank you.  this is excellent advice. 
Taffydoll
on 4/8/08 12:29 am - Coquitlam, Canada
Your welcome, that was from my hubby, he used to be a ski boot fitter so he knows a lot about shoes fitting :) good luck Sandy
Sandy_SIGGY.jpg

One love, one blood, one life, you got to do what you should.
One life with each other: sisters, brothers.
One life, but we're not the same.
We get to carry each other, carry each other.
One, one.

Most Active