Women's Olympic Marathon Trials Predictions

Scott William
on 4/3/08 10:14 pm, edited 4/4/08 12:59 am

I am fortunate to be able to attend the woman's trials after attending the men's trials in November.  They are on April 20 in Boston amd as in New York they are doing loops to make for a great spectator race. Let me say that the only thing I know about these women is what I have read in my three running mags so don't take my work for it. 1st - Deena Kastor - Yeah, real stretch there considering that her qualifying time was 12 minutes faster  than anyone else.  The clear favorite and an obvious pick to win. 2nd - Kate O'Neill - She trains with Kastor and had her qualifying time in the sweltering heat of Chicago where she was the top American to finish.  She also grew up outside Boston. 3rd - This is a tough pick because of my two choices.  There are both pros and cons as to why they should or should not be picked.    Elva Dryer has been at it for a while having qualified for two Olympics (10,000).      Blake Russell lead the 04 trials for 25 miles before being passed in the last mile by 3 people to finish off the podium.   My question is this - Do I take the woman with two olympics or a woman who for 4 years has woken up every day knowing that she was a mile from running in the Olympics. My pick for #3 is --- Blake Russell

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active