runner's cough?

striveforhealth
on 4/2/08 9:30 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi all,   I haven't been here in a while.  Yesterday I had the first day of a running group that's training for a 10K.  Last fall I did Couch to 5K and was able to complete 2 5K races in November.  Up until this past weekend I hadn't run since then.     So yesterday was the first day of this running group and we ran for 2 miles.  I ran it about as fast as I ran the 5K's in the fall - about a 13 minute mile - fast for me.  During the run my lungs were burning and it was a very hard run.  I did end up walking a couple of times to catch my breath.     Last night and today it has hurt to breathe deeply and I have had a cough off and on that rattles my chest.  I did do a 1 mile run tonight and the air was quite cold so I've started coughing a bit more.     Has anyone else experienced this?    Thanks!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Linn D.
on 4/2/08 11:18 am - Missoula, MT
I don't think it's uncommon to have a bit of a cough after not running for a while.  It happened to me this week after being sick and not running.  My guess is yours will go away after a short time.  Your lungs aren't used to the volumes and depths of the breaths required when you run, but will get there soon. Linn
MaryS
on 4/2/08 10:30 pm - Long Island, NY
I find that I cough quite a bit after running in the cold.  Great job on getting back to your running!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

striveforhealth
on 4/3/08 1:04 am - Portsmouth, NH
Thanks for the responses.  It is a bit better today so I think you're right - my lungs weren't used to that much action!  I'll be out there again tonight for another 2 miles but I'll pace myself a bit more and won't worry about keeping up with the "pack".  Becky

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Most Active