Lone Star Quarter Iron Triathlon with Race Report

kypdurran
on 3/31/08 11:19 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I ran the Lone Star Quarter Ironman Triathlon over the weekend.   It was an amazing weekend and I'd like to share it with you guys.  

I wrote my report and posted it at http://www.team464.com/lonestar08 

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing and living it!

Chad.

wjoegreen
on 4/1/08 12:12 am - Colonial Heights, VA
KYPchad, Oh illustrious health specimen sport type person.  I have hit a phenomenon similar to what it seems our runner Scott W is enduring, though he claims diet diversions as a pollutant, that I wish to ask you about.   My weight went down to 224, then back up to 232 while I was training for 10ks.  I was getting in 25-30 miles a week into Jan 08.  Then I got the flu off and on three times and finally gave up jogging until I got well whi*****luded no running for the month of Feb and maybe 10 days the whole month of Jan, so I dropped off significantly.  By the time I hit the road again March 1, I had gone up to 247.  I dropped to 242 the first week.  Switched up my diet to a Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle body builder type regime and dropped to 238 the next week.  The last two weeks, nothing. I was hoping to lean up before this Saturdays 10K, but that isn't happening apparently. So, my question,  with your conditioning and experience,...is this typical?  Did you experince this as you trained more and became more active? Am I experinceing muscle weight gain rather than weight palteau (I know, check my body fat ratio and change.....gotta go to the doctor to do that or buy some stuff,... I don't trust the calipers). I am on thw cusp of being back to where I was before the flu hit and plan to push beyond that to train for half-marathons late summer and fall 08. Do I just need to be patient and work the plan?  I don't understand how Scott logs the miles and does the races he does and stays a clydesdale but I am experincing the same issue.  I really think getting faster would be easier if I could shed some more pounds, like getting into the 185 lb range. Any wisdom to expouse?? 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
kypdurran
on 4/1/08 4:53 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Heya Joe. 

It's actually quite common for marathon runners to put on weight during training and especially immediately therafter.   I gained a few pounds after running the Mardi Gras Marathon because my mileage went from 50+ miles a week to around 20 and my food intake remained the same.   I adjusted and lowered my daily caloric intake around the second week after the marathon and everything leveled off.   You really do have to consume SO many more calories than normal to keep your body fueled for distance events which I am not finding will be another big challenge for me as I do longer distance triathlons.  

As far as your weight staying still you may, as you may have suspected, put on muscle.  The only way to make sure is to start measuring your body fat percentage which is easier said than done.  You could use the tape test that I've posted on the forum before or find someone with a Tanita electrical resistance scale to get a reading.   Neither is as accurate as the hydrostatic water test but at least they would give you a baseline reading that you could compare a second reading to.   Calipers, in most of the cases where someone has lost a significant amount of weight, are useless.   You can't get a good reading with a bunch of skin rolls flopping around.  :)

Deanna34
on 4/1/08 2:10 am - Salem, OR
Chad, you are such an inspiration!  Congratulations!!!  I absolutely LOVE reading your accounts because they are so well written and humerous.  You are so motivational to me and I hope you know that!  Great job, my friend! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

ermath
on 4/1/08 3:32 am - Hammond, LA
Again, Chad. . .you humble me.  In addition to the tears that each of your posts seem to surface, the mutual fear of the lower-GI unknown is appreciated, to say the least.  Incredible account of your experience. . .
Age: 30, Height: 5'9", Weight: 437/185/170, Sur: RNY Nov05

Dan_P.
on 4/1/08 4:05 am - Baltimore, MD
Very nice report Chad. Glad you survived the swim. When I try a tri again that'll be my biggest challenge for sure. -Dan
kypdurran
on 4/1/08 4:56 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah man the swim, in a race environment, sucks!   I can and do swim 1.2 miles at a time training in a pool multiple times a week.   However if you put me in open water in a race environment and blow the horn, I guarantee, similar to what happened on Sunday, I will forget how to swim!

I'm going to do a half-Ironman in the next few months so I better figure something out soon or I'm gonna end up fish food.  :)

kypdurran
on 4/1/08 4:59 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah, with the exception of a few other post-op athletes I'm treading into uncharted waters here as far as long distance endurance nutrition goes.   I'm literally helping write the book on what works and what doesn't.   I tried energy jelly beans, Cliff Shot Bloks and carb gel packs last weekend.  I'm pretty sure it was the gel pack that got me though.   And did it get me good!   :)

wjoegreen
on 4/1/08 5:09 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Gel packs, got it. Thanks for the inspiration post and the good advice.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MaryS
on 4/1/08 11:12 pm - Long Island, NY
Chad, Wow - what can I say.  It is amazing what you are doing.  I have to learn how to swim - you are making so jealous! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active