Need help starting exercise routine

lynn_2007
on 3/26/08 9:03 am - CA
HELP I am 4 months out and 80Ibs down.  Aside from the daily walk after lunch and the ocassional romp on the treadmill, I have been unsuccessful in motivating myself into any sort of exercise routine.  I think I need some butt kicking.  Please fell free. Lynn
Scott William
on 3/26/08 10:07 am
This is a different kind of motivation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI I think that its time for a little butt kicking.  4 months is a good time to start.  Depending on what you want to do would depend on what kind of butt kicking you would need.  Instead, may I suggest that you go sign up for a 5k road race in your local area.  Try to find something that is about 3 months off.  Do a search for "couch to 5K" and get moving.  There are a lot of people on this board who get jazzed up by road races.  You may be the next.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Earl C.
on 3/26/08 10:13 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Lynn, Find something you enjoy doing and get out there and do it. I just happen to love lifting weights and some others on here love to run, swim or bike, whatever.  Maybe take a class or two. Try some new things and find out what you like.  If you just hate walking on a treadmill or lifting, you're just not going to end up doing it for the rest of your life. Exercise isn't a quick, do it for 3 months and I'm done, kind of thing. It should be something you do for the rest of your life, so you might as well find something you enjoy doing. Good luck Earl
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 11:55 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I'm with Earl - find something you like to do and just do it (sorry if I sound like a Nike ad!).   I've become a gym rat - often going twice a day - and I love the energy I get from being around other folks who are working on getting/staying healthy.  I'm a total extrovert, so I love being surrounded by the energy at the gym.  Mind you, I'm usually not actually interacting with other folks while I exercise - I put my iPod on, crank up some tunes, and do my thing.   The key is finding something you like, and sticking with it.  Exercise can be informal - walking in the park, riding a bike, rollerblading, doing yard work, anything that gets you moving, and gets your heart pumping.  Keep trying things until you find something that "fits."   If anyone has told me 3 years ago that I would go to the gym twice a day voluntarily and actually enjoy it, I would have laughed.  But that's what happened; not overnight, but over time...   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
marsheeeee
on 3/27/08 12:19 am - Jackson, MS
I am assuming, Lynn, that you are female?  (I know a male named Lynn).  If so, find yourself a belly dance class.  You'll get stretching, exercise, and fun out of it.  That's my exercise of choice.  (well, ok, I also run and work out at the gym.  But those aren't as much fun.) Marcia
lynn_2007
on 3/27/08 5:37 am - CA

Thanks everyone

I feel more motivated just reading your responses.  I guess the key is finding something you enjoy doing as oppose to doing what you think you "Should" be doing.    Thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted. Lynn P.S.  Yes, I am a female

tina123174
on 3/27/08 12:55 pm - Columbus, OH
Hi Lynn! I am just getting into an excercise routine myself, so I am no expert...but if you like working out at home, I found a couple DVDs that I really like.  One is the "Yoga Booty Ballet" series.  It is like a combination of yoga, aerobics and dancing...but is fun and energetic and goes by fast (and you can do it even if you aren't coordinated, which I am not!).  I also like the "Walk Away the Pounds" series.  I have a 3-mile and 4-mile DVD...and by the time you fini**** you have walked that many miles but it doesn't seem like it at all. I am sure your local library has them if you wanted to try it out without spending money (before you know if you like it).  Good luck!
Most Active