Bodybuilding Question

cmladybug
on 3/25/08 7:10 am
It has been almost three years since my gastric bypass surgery and I have lost a total of 100 lbs.  I would like to lose an additional 30 lbs.  I am wanting to start working out with weights and would LOVE to have the body of a bodybuilder.  I do not want to look manly, but do want to have muscle definition and cuts.  My question is:  Does anyone on this site bodybuild or do you know of other people who have had weight loss surgery that does?  I know that there are many many bodybuilding sites on the web, but have not found anyone that has had weight loss surgery, or they do not want to admit it. Thanks for any help you can provide. Constance
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/08 1:52 pm, edited 3/25/08 1:53 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
There are a lot of us who do some weight lifting, but I don't know whether there are any competitive body builders here.   You are unlikely to get a "manly" body, because women just don't have the right hormones for that, without supplementation.  But, you can significantly change your overall shape, definition, and improve your metabolism and bone density tremendously with strength training.   I'm not sure just what your concern is in regards to wls, though.  What type of wls did you have?  (edit:  oops, I see you had gastric bypass)  Are you concerned about how your nutrition relates to muscle building?  I had lap band, so maybe someone else who had a malapsorptive surgery can better answer that.   Tami
stitch0102
on 3/25/08 11:11 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
You can "bodybuild" without being competetive.  Bodybuilding is a lifestyle.  Exercise and good eating are the keys which we should be doing anyway.  I've gone this route and love the way my body has changed.  You will gain muscle in teh right places while continuing to lose fat.  I have no desire to compete or get back into the powerlifting life I did way back.  But I do love the bodybuilding lifestyle of exercise and clean eating.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Earl C.
on 3/26/08 3:00 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Constance, Send a message to Michelle.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/starryeyez1108/ She has a friend that had WLS and competed in fitness I believe. I really don't think at 3 years out there's anything differently you would be doing if you want to do some bodybuilding. It is a liftstyle and has more to do with eating correctly with the appropriate exercise. Hard part is just getting started. Good luck Earl
Most Active