Is it too late to get ready?

Jen L
on 3/24/08 3:08 pm - Central, IN
I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here and if it is too late to even try. . . Anyhow, I'm signed up to do the Indianapolis Mini Marathon on May 3rd.  I started a 12 week training program in January, but progress got derailed due to an injury and life!  I live in Indiana and it has been cold and wet lately, so I am looking forward to some warmer weather because I prefer to do my walking and running outside.  I haven't done anything for the last 2 to 3 weeks. My challenges are that I am a nurse and I am on my feet working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week.  I leave at 6am and don't return until 8:30pm.  So those days don't leave much time for training.  I also have 2 young kids that take up much of my free time.  On the positive side is that I have a professional grade treadmill and elliptical machine in my basement. I was planning on doing a combination of walk/run for the race but now I am wondering where to go from here.  I am determined to at least start the race, even if I am the last to finish and am too sore to walk the next day! I would love any advice on where I should go from here with my training.  At this point my longest training walk/run has been 5 miles.  Please tell me that it is not hopeless.  I only have to keep an 18 minute mile to stay in it!  I can easily walk a 15 minute mile at this point.  I signed up for race last year, but because of an unexpected revision with 6 months of nausea, I was unable to even attempt it.  This year I have to at least start it. Thanks, Jennifer
kelly H.
on 3/24/08 9:10 pm - Beaverton, MI
Jennifer-  It sounds like you have the determination.  I say go for it.  I personally haven't attempted a mini marathon.  I recently did my first 5K and I didn't train for that.  I ran until I couldn't then I would walk for a few mins and run again.  If your goal is to start the race and do your best, then go for it!!!  I am pulling for you.  You still have a good month to train for it.  You can do it!!!! Kelly
kypdurran
on 3/25/08 1:10 am - Baton Rouge, LA

How far is a mini-marathon?   Is it a half?

I'm assuming mini meant a half.  18 minutes is very generous for a cutoff time so you could probably do that with little training.   Start with a base training schedule of around 20 miles a week (split between 6 days) with a long run on Saturday or Sunday and you should be good to go.   Increase your mileage around 10% a wee****il you get to a 10 mile long run and then taper off from there which should be around 2 weeks from your event.

A week would look like:

Monday - 3 miles
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - 3 miles
Saturday - 5 miles
Sunday - OFF

A book I would highly recommend is Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham.   He has some great advice and training plans for running and run / walking half and full marathons.

Best of luck!

Chad

Scott William
on 3/25/08 4:44 am
The month before the Disney Goofy Challange, I worked 20 double shifts (16 hours) and still found a little time to do the running.  I would get in 3-4 mile runs before work and the long runs on my days off. I am not sure how far a mini marathon is but I know that if you get to the start line you will finish.  Good luck.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Jen L
on 3/25/08 5:04 am - Central, IN
Thanks for the feedback.  And the mini is the same as a half marathon - 13 miles.  Its good to know that all hope is not lost.  Its rainy and windy outside - guess I better go get in the treadmill! Thanks, Jennifer
Most Active