Running Shoes!

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/08 12:14 pm - Albany, OR
Ok...I finally have found a few different pairs of shoes that fit me well despite my miniature feet.  I didn't make a purchase yet and was wondering if there is anything specific to look for to tell the quality differences.  There are huge price differences, and I'm willing to spend more if it will make the shoe last longer.  I've never put much thought into buying running shoes and really don't want to end up with something that falls apart on me right away.
Scott William
on 3/19/08 10:12 pm
If you are on the lighter side a good running shoe should last in the 500 mile range.  At 250 lbs, I expect mine to go 300 miles.  I have gone to 3 different running shoe specialty stores.  They fit me and had me take a test run around the store (outside).  My favorite pair was the Asics Evolution at $110 per pair.  I have also had New Balance, Avia and a different pair of Asics.  It is important that you get the right size. They will also see how much you pronate at the specialty store and recommend a shoe that will work with your specific style. I guess that what I am saying is make sure you get to a running store to get your best fit.  You may pay more but the shoe will be great.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 3/19/08 10:45 pm - Long Island, NY
I second Scott's advice about getting fitted at a running store.  I got fitted with a  great pair of running shoes - I put them on and there is no breaking in period, they feel great right from the start.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 3/20/08 6:42 am
Once I put on a new pair, there is no going back.  I have tried to go back to older shoes with 250 or 300 miles but I just can't do it. If you saw the marathon movie, it was funny when Dena Kastor gets a new shipment of Asics.  There must have been 12 or 15 pair.  The whole audience gasped in jealous unison.
Scott

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/08 7:26 am - Albany, OR
How do you know when they're worn out?  Is it just a feel or do you start to not be comfy in them anymore?  I don't know how to tell!
Scott William
on 3/20/08 8:46 am
In general, I just keep track of the mileage and when I get to 300, I get a new pair.  Once I try to run in the old pair, I can tell.  Usually they still look new so it can be tough.
Scott

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/08 9:11 am - Albany, OR
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks!
frueta
on 3/20/08 1:16 am
I also recommend going and get fitted for a sneaker.  I have bought a few sneakers at these kind of stores and each time have paid around $85. 
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/08 7:21 am - Albany, OR
I actually found a running store about 50 miles away.  I live in the middle of nowhere and had totally forgotten about one that was by my parents' house.  I ended up going there today and the guy was sooooo helpful and helped me find some shoes.  He checked out my feet and my gait and pulled a bunch of pairs that he thought would work well for me.  I tried them all on to get an idea of what I liked best.  After narrowing it down that way, he let me try each on their treadmill to see which worked best for me.  I also let him know that I really didn't want to spent a TON of money because my feet have been changing a LOT with my weight loss and I will probably need to replace them relatively soon anyway since I still have almost 50 lbs left to lose.  They had some discontinued shoes that I tried on as well.  I didn't look at the price tags until after I narrowed it down to 2 pairs that I liked equally.  One was $109 and one was from the few discontinued ones that they had and were marked down from $92 to $54.96.  I went with the cheaper ones since that was the only deciding factor left.  Well, the more expensive ones looked a little nicer, but I'm more interested in function than form. I had posted a few weeks ago asking about shoes, and I could not find a "runner's" store anywhere near me.  My mom actually mentioned Dick Pond because she used to take my brother there when he was in high school track and cross country.  It was definitely worth the 50 mile drive....well, 100 round trip.  I like the Sauconys that I ended up buying better than any of the other shoes I tried on before.
MaryS
on 3/20/08 1:24 pm - Long Island, NY
I'm so glad that you found them so helpful!  Enjoy your new sneakers.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active