Niantic Bay 5K report

Scott William
on 3/15/08 1:10 am
After working a 16 hour shift, I had to make a decison on running this race or not knowing that I have to be back at work at 3:45 pm today.  It doesn't make for much sleep but it was a no-brainer.  Of course I was running. Since I got out of work at 8am and the race was about 2 miles from work, I was a little early for the 9:40 start.  The kids race was first.  Nothing brings a smile to my face (and sometimes tears) like watching the little ones come cruising by. Our race started on a slight incline in a cold rain.  I had my jacket on knowing that I wouldn't take it off.  I even put my number on the outside of it.  You guessed it.  3/4 of a mile in and I am undoing the safety pins to get the jacket off.  That's better!  Aah!  Anyway, I didn't really have a goal knowing it was the first "fast" race of the year with little speed training and I am up about 13 lbs from Disney.  The sleep thing was also hanging there.   I went through the first mile in 8:06.  Perfect.  I had a watch but not my GPS.  Pace was a concern.  The course was rolling and went by the ocean which is more scenic for me during the longer races.  I am kind of intense during the 5K's.  Still it was a great course because we didn't stay on one road more than perhaps 1/2 mile.  The scenery was always changing.  Mile 2 was 16:13.  How's that for pace.  Again, Perfect!  This was setting me up for a 25 minute finish which would be surprisingly enjoyable.  I only have one sub 25 minute finish.  At the 2.5 mile mark there was a steep but short hill and again, I don't think my pace changed at all.  I passed probably 20 people in the last mile and only 1 passed me.  I love that.  Again, my pace only stayed about the same except for the last 1/2 mile or so but they all slowed down a bit.  The finish was set up perfectly for a 260lb person.  Down hill to a flat 100yd section.  I killed the last 1/2 and finished in 24:50.  I think that it's my second best 5K time and a great start to the season.  I got my green beads and water and was in my car about a minute later.  Rushed home to do the report and be in bed by 11am to be up at 2pm.  I'm a little late but it's worth it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Scott William
on 3/15/08 4:23 am
Oh yeah, I just put my name in the lottery for the Mt. Washington Road Race.  It is the mountain racing national championship.   http://www.mountwashingtonroadrace.com/ It's no big deal - there's only one hill. Scott
Scott

kypdurran
on 3/16/08 1:17 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah man as the Hoyt's would say, "It's only a mountain..."  :)

Good luck.  Hope you get in.

Chad.

jdubbs2
on 3/15/08 7:48 am - easton, PA
Great job,  It had to be cold because when I went out at 1PM in PA I had to make a decision, gym or run outside.  Gym won after about 5 seconds. john
Rob S.
on 3/15/08 11:13 am - DE
Scott,  Great job.  You are a flyer.  Amazing pace!  You young guys amaze me.  Thanks for the report and get some sleep. Rob
Deanna34
on 3/15/08 1:05 pm - Salem, OR

Holy cow!  That is a FABULOUS finish time!  You totally smoke my time!!!

Great job Scott!

--Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 3/15/08 2:31 pm
Sorry.  The official coolrunning chip time was 24:56.  I lied. I had signed up for the clydesdale but there were no results posted for it.  How disappointing.
Scott

Sporty Jill
on 3/15/08 10:23 pm - Norfolk, VA
That's a GREAT time!  You should be proud of yourself.   All in the day and life of a runner - haha!

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

MaryS
on 3/16/08 9:58 am - Long Island, NY
Scott, Wow - great job - what a terrific pace, only in my dreams could I come close! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active