I need advice

liz A.
on 3/11/08 7:57 am
....please. I've had this flu bug for a bit over a week now.  last week was me sleeping virtually all day.  thought I was better this past weekend, resumed exercising....may have overdone it.  I have no appetite, fatigue is still there, I'm just not well yet. so....my question is, how do I go about reinstating exercise, I dont want to overdo it, but honestly I'm conerned if I stop for awhile I won't start again.   also that 5k is coming up & although its not till May 10, I feel like I wont be ready.  and further I've always been the type of person where I feel like I cant rest, I need to go, go, go....or else I'm failling.  which I KNOW is not true, but I cant seem to get past that mindset so I'm hoping you guys have advice as to how you got back into things after being sick in the past, cause I'm sure you were at some point.  I think this is the first time I've ever had the flu.....not a fan.   thanks in advance

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

MaryS
on 3/11/08 8:55 am, edited 3/11/08 12:06 pm - Long Island, NY

Kellee, Take it easy and give your body time to get over the flu.  My husband had the flu and I know how sick he got, so if you were the same, you need to give yourself time to recover.  You have plenty of time to get ready for your 5k.  I would suggest you get started back exercising with walking.  Be patient with yourself and give your body time to recover.  Patience is something I had to learn after my plastic surgery, it isn't easy, but it is necessary.

I hope you are feeling completely better soon! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

liz A.
on 3/11/08 12:07 pm
thank you for advice. its just pure fatigue.  my job is a desk job & come 3pm I'm exhausted.   my mom actually called & scolded me for doing too much exercise sunday...(mind you I'm nearly 35....) I guess they never stop being moms

-liz lemon

Linn D.
on 3/11/08 11:49 am - Missoula, MT
After my marathon, it was VERY hard to rest.  I started running again too soon and didn't give myself time to heal.  I ended up with an IT band injury and was forced to rest it because it hurt too much even when I stretched. I totally understand the feeling of failure if you don't go at it all the time, but if you go back too soon you're just asking to get REALLY sick and be out for longer.  Give yourself this time to recover and your return to exercise will be much easier. Linn
liz A.
on 3/11/08 12:04 pm
thanks.  it really is hard.  I'm just not the most patient person. so, how long are you supposed to let yourself recover after running a marathon?

-liz lemon

Linn D.
on 3/11/08 1:08 pm - Missoula, MT
I should have waited a week to run at all, but pushed it by a couple days.  That was the worst I've ever felt running in my life and I only went 30 minutes!  I ran through the pain for a couple weeks until I couldn't do it anymore.  I was also afraid that if I didn't get back to running as soon as possible, I'd never do it.  I ended up finding a 6-week recovery plan, so that helped get me going again.  Having a plan really helps me.  I still haven't run more than 5.5 miles since the marathon, but it won't be long.
marsheeeee
on 3/12/08 12:30 am - Jackson, MS

I  had to laugh at your comment about Mothers.  I'm 57 and my Mom is 86, and she still makes me call her when I get home after dropping her off at her place if it's  after dark.  And I still get the "you're not wearing THAT, are you?".  So, no, they don't ever stop being Moms.  And I will say that I will miss that when she's gone - if I outlive her (I wouldn't put it past her to stick around just because).

Don't stop exercising, just take it easy - slow walks, etc.  Think about back when  you had your surgery how you had to start out slowly and get into it gradually.  It won't take as long this time to get back into it, and you won't lose what you've aready gotten.   Marcia

liz A.
on 3/12/08 1:03 am

yeah, she came over & did my dishes for me (hey thanks mom, I wont object to that)  but then expressed concern about my smoke detector, feeling I should have a new one. 

the next day she called & asked if I wanted her to send my stepdad over to put up the new one she bought me.  I said thanks but I feel pretty confident about my ability to hang things.  LOL  she means well....the dork.

-liz lemon

kelly H.
on 3/12/08 3:16 am - Beaverton, MI
Hope you are feeling a little better.  I haven't been sick since before my surgery, knock on wood, so I haven't had to "recover".  I am interested in knowing more about the 5k you are running in May.  I am attempting one this Saturday.  I haven't been running much, but my goal is to start and fini**** whether I have to walk some or not.  I let you know how I do.  Thanks for the info Kelly
liz A.
on 3/12/08 3:41 am
sure...here ya go.   http://www.53riverbankrun.com/ how far are you from GR?

-liz lemon

Most Active