L.A. Marathon Part 2!!

Kevin A.
on 3/6/08 6:35 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Mile 11, 12 & 13 16:00-15:53-15:22
The sun is out is all the way out it about 70 degrees it a nice day but not running weather. I'm still trying to shake the effects of the past 10 miles. I can't even keep up with a full 2 minutes of running at the point. So I try running for 1 minute. My feet are burning with every step am my legs are so tight I can barely keep them moving now I starting to feel pain shoot up between my legs!! This is horrible!!

Mile 14& 15 21:56-18:45
I made it to the L.A. Coliseum I see the other half of my running group!! They were in pain too but are in better shape than I was. It was no way I could even keep up. I'm thinking I just going to have to walk the rest of the way. A good time is out the window now I'm in survival mode just trying to fini****ell Gene (Groove Daddy) look I going to have to walk don't wait on me!! Gene is a good runner I know he could run the rest. Gene is running in slow motion for the pictures!! He tells me to at least look good for the pictures! So we make like were jogging for the pictures!! Mile 15 a friend mother and son was working a water station but by the time I got there it was like a ghost town. Use water cups everywhere and only a few people handing ou****er. I was too late they were already gone.

Mile 16 & 17 18:45-18:37
All I could think about was keeping my feet moving. Everyone around me was walking. It was like being in the zombie movie and we were the walking died!! Gene final decided to leave me. I was not being good company. I was really down on myself and I was hurting bad. There was is old lady running but very slow a little faster than I was walking. Her body was twisted forward and to the side. You would think she could not walk a block let alone 17 miles!! It was amazing to watch her!!

Mile 18 & 19 22:43-14:41
I have friends waiting for me at mile 19!! I forgot had Advil with me!! I popped a few pills and one of the volunteers had icy hot!! I rubbed some on my legs!! Wow!! My legs loosed up!! I started back on my 2/2 pace. I was feeling good. I was passing people. Maybe I can turn this around and still finish before the 7 hours?? I made it to mile 19 14:41!! I felt reborn!! LOL! Got some quick hugs and kisses from friends grab a sandwich and I was back in the race!!!

Mile 20, 21 & 22 18:49-16:42-14:13
I was back to mostly walking but my legs felt good enough I would run for a little. So I try to pick up my pace but I was running about as fast as walking. I check my phone mom's at mile 22!! She standing there with one of her friends I give them both a hug and a kiss I kept moving. As I walking down the street hey that looks like my car? Why would she drive my car and park it so I could see it?? That just not right!! You don't know how bad I wanted to jump in my car to leave this race!!

Mile 23 & 24 25:33- 22:13
The 6th street bridge took the last hint of life out of my legs. The next two mile was up over the bridge then up a smaller hill to another bridge back to downtown L.A.

Miles 25 & 26.2 20:15 - 23:48
Just 40 more minute then I'm done!! As I make my through downtown I see my coach he tells me I'm doing great. Take it easy and enjoy the finish. At 26 mile marker and I turn on Bob Marley on my i-pod and start running to the finish! I cross the finish line Kirsten and Groove Daddy are waiting on me. Kirsten put the medal around my neck and gives me a kiss! No runners high I was just glad to be finished!

I was feeling down about my race. I got this e-mail from my coach that put it all in perspective.

Whether you never started yesterday's race, did better than you anticipated, worse than you anticipated, or could not finish...you came together as a community and we did something amazing together! You truly are Heroes! As the Coach's were bringing in the last four runners a man approached us and thanked us for doing what we do. He said that he is an APLA client and he benefits from the funds that we raise. If nothing else, that definitely makes it all worth it! I was beaming with pride as I saw you all on the course, you are truly amazing people and my life is better for having met you! I hope that some of you will decide to come back and train again! If not, you should still continue to run; I spotted alumni all day long! Your life will be enriched by being active and you now know that you can do anything!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Earl C.
on 3/6/08 7:17 am - Circleville, OH
That's just awesome Kevin. Earl
Rob S.
on 3/6/08 9:18 am - DE

Kelvin, You did an amazing thing!  You started.  You finished.  You have done something that few people can do, and for a great cause..  I hope to join your club someday, but for now I just love to read these endeavors.  Enjoy you accomplishment, and start training for you next event. Rob

Linn D.
on 3/6/08 11:16 am - Missoula, MT
I totally understand where you're coming from! Congratulations to you on your effort!  Finishing a marathon is truly an amazing experience, and one you will never forget regardless of the number of events you do. Welcome to the club! Linn
Scott William
on 3/6/08 8:26 pm
Way to go Kevin!  Maybe you will find that feeling o*******n that eluded you after your next.  Congrats on taking on and defeating the marathon.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
marsheeeee
on 3/7/08 12:46 am - Jackson, MS
Awesome.  You persevered through the pain, through your discouragement, through it all and finished.  You met your goal and helped a good cause in the process.  Well done. Thanks for sharing your story.  (I gotta remember those icy hot things...) Marcia
MaryS
on 3/10/08 9:10 am - Long Island, NY
Kevin, Great job - you finished what you started and you helped out a good cause! I am so happy for you - I know it was a rough marathon for you, but you did it and you can proudly say that you finished the marathon. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active