Need Your Expertise!

Melissa
on 2/28/08 4:21 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Hey all! First time to this board and I'm hoping to get some direction.  I had the VSG in June of '07.  I've lost 125 lbs and I still need to lose 150 or so.  Since my surgery, I've used an elliptical machine (in my home) just about every day.  Gradually I worked up to 30 mins a day and I increase my resistance when it gets too easy. I joined the YMCA today.  Brand new facility.  Eventually, I want to swim but I'm too self-conscious to do it just yet.  So, I have the cardio part down.  I'll start with 30 mins of elliptical (at the Y) but after that, what do you suggest for strength training?  I'm not at all familiar with what to do and I just dropped a few hundred joining so I don't want to pay for a personal trainer.  Keep in mind I'm not too comfy laying on my tummy on any weight machines (or flat on my back for that matter). Thanks for any advice! Melissa
♫♪ Ain't nothin' gonna break my stall.. Nobody's gonna slow me down.. oh no..
I got to keep on losin'.  ♫♪

liz A.
on 2/28/08 5:17 am
1.  you look very familiar to me.... 2.  ask the workers there how to use the machines, they will show you.  and dont worry about other people looking at you.  I've learned they are pretty much too busy focusing on themselves.   did you join the one downtown?  that facility is NICE.   oh, also, when I joined the old Y here in town, they gave me a free fitness assessment or something where they showed me all that stuff worked & some goals.  maybe they will for you too, since you just joined.  worth asking about.  
Melissa
on 2/28/08 12:20 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
Hey! :D Well, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that our paths have crossed. Perhaps @ MMPC? I did join the new Y and it's pretty great.  I will definitely ask for the assessment and have them show me the machines.  I should have today but I'm a 'grab the bull by the horns' kinda girl.  Thanks for the advice. :D

Linn D.
on 2/28/08 8:34 am - Missoula, MT
Melissa, You might also check out some of the cardio classes they have just to mix it up some.  Elliptical is fine, but doing the same thing every time isn't always the best.  Even us runners cross train at least 2 days a week.  I love studio cycling classes, and they should have them at your Y. As the other gal said, as part of your membership you should be able to request that you be shown how all the machines work as a safety precaution. There are lots of strength programs to be found online if you don't want to spend the money on a personal trainer, and there are lots of others on this board that lift a lot, I'm just not one of them.  Earl usually has a lot of good suggestions an websites you can look at. Congratulations on moving forward! Linn
Melissa
on 2/28/08 12:21 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Linn! I'll check the classes out.  I am such a creature of habit but I know I lose faster when I mix my routine up.  Thanks for the reply.

Most Active