Think I'm Going to Back Out of the Triathlon

JeremyGentles
on 2/26/08 8:18 am - Johnson City, TN
ME RANT??? NEVER!

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Deanna34
on 2/26/08 7:09 am - Salem, OR
Oh Jeremy, that was way too funny!  I got such a good laugh out of your "rant!"  And the treadmill clip was hilarious!  Although, I am surprised that something like that hasn't happened to ME!  I tend to be a little accident prone! Thanks for the laugh! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/08 8:00 am, edited 2/26/08 8:03 am
Have you ever considered Adventure Racing? It's a triathalon of sort that is more mountain/outdoorsy oriented, with events like biking, trail running, paddling and rock climbing. It also includes navigation - they give you the coordinates for the next stop and you have to find it while doing the required discipline.  I'll be doing one this summer and they all vary in terms of what disciplines are run. (mine doesn't have rock climbing, just paddling, trail running/trekking and biking) Just thought I would suggest it - it sounds like it might fit what you enjoy a little more and it might be a good challenge. It use to be that Adventure races were 10+ day long races for the elite of the elite athletes. Now they have races that are anywhere from 6 hours to a few days - it's much better for us lowly peons Here's some links if you are interested in learning more - I'm pretty excited about doing it, this was one of my goals before surgery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_racing - some general info http://www.gravityplay.com/adventureracing/index.html - this is a company that puts on lots of the shorter races - I'll be going to their training camp in March and then running a race in September.
Dan_P.
on 2/26/08 10:46 am - Baltimore, MD
Hmmm. Intriguing to be sure. Thanks for the links!
MaryS
on 2/26/08 10:53 am - Long Island, NY
I think you are doing the right thing - you should do what you like, otherwise you are likely not to continue doing. I love the idea of doing a triathlon, but since I'm not much of a swimmer I think I'd end up in the same place you are now. I think the duathlon would be great for you!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 2/26/08 11:15 am
Here is my opinion.  I think that you should definitely try a short one.  If you hate it, you never have to do it again.  The problem is that you may finish and not have hated it.  You may also may want to improve.  However, if it really makes you miserable, there is no one holding a gun to your head.  Stick with what you do like.  Like I said though.  I think you should finish one just so you can't ever regret not.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active