Think I'm Going to Back Out of the Triathlon

Dan_P.
on 2/26/08 2:27 am - Baltimore, MD
I just don't enjoy the swimming. I'm not improving. I don't enjoy swimming. I don't enjoy being in my bathing suit. I'm not improving. I'm concerned now that I'm going to avoid exercise because it's a swimming day and I hate swimming (like yesterday, and today). That is not a good option for me.  I like running. I like biking. I think that I'll stick with that.  I guess that's it.
Kevin A.
on 2/26/08 2:57 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Nothing wrong with that!! I was watching the Iron man a few weeks ago and thought it would be cool if I did'nt have to swim!!!

But you can do have Duathlons!! I'm thinking about training for one??

Whatever you decide you can't lose because your staying active!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 2/26/08 3:14 am - Salem, OR
I hate swimming too and the thought of myself in a bathing suit is enough to keep me out of the pool!!! You should definately try a duathalon ... that is my ultimate goal too but I don't even have a bike yet.  Someday, hopefully! You definately want to do the exercise that makes you inspired.   Just keep doing what you enjoy! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Rob S.
on 2/26/08 3:55 am - DE
It's your decision.  And I don't blame you one bit. You should try a dualathlon.  Run - bike - run.  I also hate swimming, and especially can't imagine getting waved by a bunch of tri-swimmers.  There are a bunch of these in our area.  I'm actually having trouble commiting enough time to the bike, since I really enjoy running so much.] Rob
kypdurran
on 2/26/08 4:50 am - Baton Rouge, LA

My swimming technique sucks too but I enjoy it more than biking.  Biking is the tri event that I could do without.  

What was the distance you were going to do in the tri?   They usually have sprints that will only have a 300 - 350m swim and sometimes it will be in a pool.  The one I'm doing on March 8th in Athens, TX is a sprint tri that has a 350m swim in a pool. 

Dan_P.
on 2/26/08 5:25 am - Baltimore, MD
1500 meter swim. I did an indoor tri this past weekend and in 10 minutes completed 14 laps in a 25 meter pool. Even if I can improve incrementally over the next few months, there's no way I could finish that distance in 50 minutes which is what they tell you you need to do. It's okay. I'll look for some sprint distances this summer and give it another go. I just don't want to get away from exercise because of my revulsion to swimming. -Noah
kypdurran
on 2/26/08 5:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Is this your first tri and is the swim in open water?  Open water adds an even more difficult element to the swim.  Doing an Olympic Distance tri (1.5K swim / 40K bike / 10K run) on your first tri is pretty ballsy if it is.  :)  

You can do it Dan.   Train train train and you can kick the swims ass then smoke the bike and run. 

I've got 5 triathlons coming up in from now until the end of April and the majority of them are sprints.   My longest swim is a 800m open water swim followed by a 20 mi bike and a 5K run.

Dan_P.
on 2/26/08 10:47 am - Baltimore, MD
Yeah. It's 1500 open water. I'll look about for sprints this summer I think and see if anything takes from that, but I'm going to abandon the active swimming practice for now and reincorporate some weights back into my routine. I've been ignoring that for the past 4 weeks as I just haven't had the time. I miss it.
JeremyGentles
on 2/26/08 5:59 am, edited 2/26/08 6:00 am - Johnson City, TN
I understand where you are coming from....find what you enjoy and do it. Personally I can't stand running....actually, I am not to fond of many forms of cardiovascular exercise. This was actually a topic i briefly discussed on my new blog. A fitting title I think.... I Hate Running! http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/jeremygentles/uzone,blog/a ction,comments/blog_id,7370/blog_post_id,134067/

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Earl C.
on 2/26/08 6:56 am - Circleville, OH

That looked like a RANT to me Jeremy. That treadmill clip is hilarious. Earl

Most Active