Is my weight loss stalled on 30 minutes 3x per week

Nubianlilly
on 2/24/08 11:11 pm - PA

I'm only 7 weeks out of surgery and I've been at the same weight for 3 weeks.  I'll admit, my doctor says 30 minutesof exercise 5-7 times a week. I'm falling below that. Is that the reason i'm not losing any weight? I can't express how upset this is making me. I'm taking all my vitamins, I'm getting between 600-800 calories/day and I'm averaging around 61-70 grams of protein a day.  Can 2-3 days of exercise really be the reason that I'm not losing any weight at all. I would understand not flying through the process, but nothing??? I really need help with this. I'm very frustrated and very upset about this whole process. BTW, I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me, or be antagonistic, but if all you have to say is "everybody's different", please not post here.  It's not helpful.

Thanks.

Rob S.
on 2/25/08 12:32 am - DE

Sorry to say, but everyone does lose at a different rate.  I will say that two things you need to make sure you do are move to lose, and make sure you are getting suffiicient intake of water (over 64 oz) per day.  Also you may want to increase you intake of protein since 60 is the bare minimum you need to get in daily. In my four and a half years I have found that the people that are the most successful are those that exercise at least 5 times per week.  You are currently in the honeymoon stage of the surgery where weight is basically going to come off no matter what you do, but it gets a lot tougher to keep it off if you don't establish new habits and lifestyle. Rob

Nubianlilly
on 2/25/08 1:35 am - PA
If this is the honey moon stage, I don't know what's going to happen when it gets "tough"
Kevin A.
on 2/25/08 12:55 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Just remember you just had major surgery. You body need time to heal and get use to this new way of eatting and exercise. Relax!! Stay focused on doing the right things and not the scale!! You will lose weight!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
(deactivated member)
on 2/25/08 1:06 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
It's pretty common for folks to have a stall somewhere between 4-10 weeks after surgery.  Your body is very confused about all the recent changes, and it's just taking a break.  Our bodies are designed with serious self-preservation mechanisms, so when it experiences significant changes in energy intake, it sometimes slows your metabolism down to a crawl while it checks out what's going on.   I know it's frustrating, but just keep doing what you're doing.  Get in at least the 60 grams of protein a day, more if you can.  Stay well hydrated, which usually means sipping all day long.  Keep your calories within the range recommended by your surgeon/nutritionist, and keep on exercising!  I'm 28 months post-op and firmly believe that regular exercise is key to long-term maintenance -  Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
Earl C.
on 2/25/08 1:49 am, edited 2/25/08 5:35 am - Circleville, OH
Sounds like what your doctor is telling you is the minimum to be successful.  I think if you really look at the people that have been successful with WLS, they exercise (and that can just be walking btw) up to 1 or 2 hours a day, every day. When you say that you exercise 30 mins a day, I don't know what that is. But if you stopped losing on 600 calories a day, it's not enough. Who says you can only exercise once a day anyway? Especially, if it's just walking. Sorry but you have to move more, eat less and you're already at the minimum calories to survive, so that means move more. For 7 weeks out you're just about right where you should be caloriewise. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water, it helps in more ways than you can imagine. Good Luck Earl
KTBee
on 2/25/08 10:47 am
What kind of surgery did you have?--RNY, Lapband, DS?  What kind of exercise are you doing?  And finally how much water are you pushing?  Those answers might make it easier to figure things out. Katy
Nubianlilly
on 2/25/08 11:00 am - PA
I had a lap rny.  A generally get most or all of my water. I go to to the gym and do some weight training, but mostly cardio on whatever machine I feel like or swimming if it's not too cold outside. Any light to shed?
JeremyGentles
on 2/26/08 6:13 am - Johnson City, TN
Ok let me provide a slightly different take on things here. So your seven weeks or so post op and consuming 600-800 calories a day....you are currently in a huge caloric deficit and that is the is purpose of weight loss surgery. When you are in this type of caloric deficit, EXERCISE HAS VERY LITTLE INFLUENCE, IF ANY, ON WEIGHT LOSS AND OR BODY COMPOSITION!!!! This is not to discourage from exercising but to rather focus on what exercise is actually good for....HEALTH, FUNCTION ANS WEIGHT LOSS MAINTENANCE. It is extremely common to hit plateaus here and there, but if you listen to your surgeons advice and eat the way you are supposed eat, the weight will come off. Check out the following article I wrote and perhaps this will explain it a bit further....if you have other questions just let me know. Click the link below to read the article: Have You Misplaced Your Focus?

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Nubianlilly
on 2/26/08 10:34 pm - PA
I read the article. I like it, and actaually agree with a bit of that.  However, i'm still left with the question, so Now what? I've increased my caloric intake and everything so what else am I supposed  to so to actually get results from this ?
Most Active