I need better running shoes.

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/08 6:17 am - Albany, OR
Anyone have any recommendations for some good women's running shoes?  I've gone to a few stores and tried some on, but none of them seem to be working for me.  Also, the last ones I bought felt great in the store and made my feet hurt within about 10 minutes of actually USING the shoes.  I tried to break them in wearing them around the house and such, but even just doing that made my feet hurt. I need new shoes!!
Linn D.
on 2/22/08 6:50 am - Missoula, MT
Have you ever been to the RoadRunnerSports online store?  They have an excellent shoe guide.  What sort of stores have you been to?  If it's not one that specializes in runners, chances are they won't have the really good ones anyway.  They will have the same brands, but they won't have the same shoe styles/types you'd find at the better running stores.  Even when I buy shoes from other online stores, I check out RRS to make sure it's the same shoe.  By the way, the shoes aren't meant for anything other than running, and running shoes often hurt my feet if I wear them for anything else - even wearing around the house. They guide you through the process of picking a shoe type for your foot shape, weight, and gait.  When you look at all the shoes that fit your type (I have a lower arch so I use a stability shoe) you can look at all the shoes that are made for that type.  It's also important to note that some shoes say to buy them half to a full size larger than your normal shoe size.  That may also make a difference. The last new pairs I bought did hurt for the first 10-20 minutes of running, but eased up after that.  The shoes I use, stability shoes, can be a little stiff at first and they do force you to run a certain way.  I hadn't bought new shoes in a while, so I wasn't used to running properly. They stopped hurting me during my first run with them and never hurt again. I've used Asics, Reebok, Saucony, and Addidas, and have run races in all but the Saucony's (they're the newest).  I don't get sores on my feet, either.  Maybe I'm lucky, but I have always used their fit guide and bought my shoes online and have never had to send a pair back. RoadRunnerSports also gives you a 60-day period to return them if they don't work for you.  You can also talk to someone on the phone if you like to help you figure out what a good shoe for you would be if you don't trust the online fit guide. Linn
(deactivated member)
on 2/22/08 7:03 am - Albany, OR
I know they're not really meant for anything but running.  I was just trying to get them to work for me because I have been having such a hard time finding something that is comfortable.  I was just going to various shoe stores around here (free standing and at the mall) but none of them were runner-specific.  I have never even seen a runner-specific store before.  I live in the middle of nowhere, so my options are limited.  I usually buy things online, but I"m worried about buying something that I haven't tried on and having it be the same kinda situation I'm in now.  I'm definitely checking out that site though, because I really need to find something!
Linn D.
on 2/22/08 7:20 am - Missoula, MT
RRS really is the best runner-specific online store.  I have bought running shoes at department stores before and had the same luck you're having.  It's pretty tough, and I never found a pair that didn't bother me in some way. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know that about running shoes, I was just pointing out that it really doesn't help to wear them around the house, the motion is too different. I think most people who buy running shoes in the malls don't actually wear them for running. I live in Montana, so I understand your plight as far as finding decent products in close proximity.  Our mall here is pretty small.  There is an actual running store in my town here, but I pay so much less when I buy my shoes online.  I can find them on sale for $60-90 instead of the $120 or so I'd pay at the running store. If you can afford it, try buying 2 pairs and see which ones feel better.  I ran my marathon in the Adidas because they were light, but I wear my Saucony ones for all my easy runs because they have more cushioning. I really do hope you find something that feels good.  Running is so wonderful when things work and just awful when they don't. Linn
MaryS
on 2/22/08 7:12 am - Long Island, NY
If you can get to a running store it would be worth the trip. They can evaluate you and recommend a shoe. The ones I've been to also watch you run in the shoes to make sure you don't over/under pronate, etc. Once you find a pair that work for you, you can always order them online. My personal preference in Brooks, they have worked really well for me.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/08 9:44 am - Albany, OR
I really need to find a store. Maybe I'll just make the drive out to see my mom...she lives closer to Chicago, so there is bound to be SOMETHING relatively nearby.
Cassie W.
on 2/22/08 10:40 am
Don't get discouraged if you need to try on several different brands, styles and even sizes.  I just picked up a pair of New Balance 1223s that are just the right amount of stability and cushioning for me.  This was after trying on a dozen different shoes that just didn't work.  Some were too stiff.  Others slipped in the heel.  Most had a toe box that was too narrow for my wide foot.  Once I slipped into the 1223s, I knew I had found the right ones. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/08 10:51 am - Albany, OR
I think a lot of my problem is finding shoes that are narrow enough and small enough.  I only wear like a size 5-6 depending on the brand.  I have a really hard time finding narrow enough shoes though that aren't pinchy on my toes.  I need to find something narrow, but not pointy and pinchy on the toes and it seems like everything that is narrow enough for my foot itself is too narrow on the toes...and everything that is comfy in the toe area is too wide for the rest!  I really do need to find a place that can help me pick something that will work for me based on actually seeing my feet and how I move when I run.
Most Active