Tae Kwon Do??

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 10:49 am
Have any of you participated in a TKD class after WLS?  I'm thinking of getting into it mostly for my kids, but it is only $14 extra a month if I do it too.  That would be great for all of us to get active.  And classes are 3 times a week.  Just wondering tho if all the kicking and punching that TKD does bothers anyone who is post op?  I mean with strain, or excess skin problems or any other for that matter.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as my son is NOT excited to do this, but if we did it as a family, I could "convince" him...
MikeB
on 2/12/08 3:00 am - Pottstown, PA
Hello Paula,    I myself am not a TKD practioner. However I started doing Kenpo karate before I had my surgery at a weight of 534lbs. Last January I tested fro and received my Black Belt.  TKD is about 85-95% kicking I you have alot of hanging skin in the abdomon area I would suggest wearign som type of compression short. Becareful when you sign up about getting locked in to a time line. Say if you do a family plan and your son decides after two months that he absolutly hates it that your not obligated to the  length of the contract. I also would recommend looking at several different schools. Unfortunately in the martial arts word most (not all) TKD schools have a reputation of being belt factories.  I've seen quite of few kids with black belt in TKD that are unable to punch properly and the kicking isn't much better and that is a majority of their training.  I hope this helps I would be glad to answer any questions. Mike
Most Active