Frustrated with weight gain ...

liz A.
on 2/12/08 3:47 am
so no pringles.  got it.  this is so confusing.  how does a person get a metabolic test?  I want one.
Sporty Jill
on 2/12/08 3:52 am - Norfolk, VA
I had mine done through my WLS surgeon's office last Oct and then every other month, I see the nutritionist and she weighs me to give me weight/fat/muscle/water..........

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

liz A.
on 2/12/08 4:07 am
so but even if the body did go into starvation mode, wouldnt it eventually have to let go & you'd end up losing....not that this is the healthy way, but I'm just trying to understand.....I mean on survivor they lose weight & they are in starvation mode I'm calling my dietitian to make an appt.
Sporty Jill
on 2/12/08 4:26 am - Norfolk, VA

call your dietician....they can better explain it. 

I just know that my nutritionist told me that if I plan to run the 1/2 marathon on whatI was eating at that time,I would never make it.  And that if you expend too much, the body will in fact satrt gaining as a way of holding onto everything it could to avoid starvation.

As for Survivor - think about what they are losing...ALOT of muscle.  Also, it seems that they lay around alot.

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna

liz A.
on 2/12/08 4:50 am

yeah, they do lay around a lot.  I would not go on that show.  I'd never make it.  I'll go on the amazing race instead (I have a reality tv addiction) it just continues to amaze me how the body works.   thanks for the info!  (btw:  I thought you did a fine job explaining :-)

Sporty Jill
on 2/12/08 5:01 am - Norfolk, VA
I'm with you...Amazing Race - ANYDAY!

Deanna34
on 2/12/08 7:12 am - Salem, OR
I just have to butt in ... I love Amazing Race!  Hey, maybe they'd let us go on as a Trio ... the bypass babes!  I love it!  We'd kick some major butt! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Deanna34
on 2/12/08 7:14 am - Salem, OR

He said it would actually make your metabolism slow down ... not sure on all the details though!   My problem is that I REALLY like to eat and I don't want to revert back to the person I used to be! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Sporty Jill
on 2/12/08 3:23 am - Norfolk, VA
That;s what I was afraid of.  My nut. told me last month to increase my carbs (I did - from 50 - 75 to 100 - 115).  Initially, I lost 2 pounds, but have gone up since. My question is HOW do you eat more?  I'm ALWAYS full and ALWAYS eating somehting - haha. But...based on what you wrote, I too felt better that it wasn't just me. OH!  I drink 6 - 7 16oz bottles of water a day.  1/2 of them have crystal light in them and the other 1/2 plain water or green tea....

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/08 11:10 am - Miramar Beach, FL

Glad to know I'm not alone!  :-)  I workout very similar to you, Deanna: M:  1 hour Group Power Strength class or Cybex workout; 15" abs class; 45" Spinning T:  45" Spinning W:  1 hour Group Power; 15" abs; 45" cardio on elliptical or stepper T:  45" Spinning F:  1 hour Group Power; 15" abs; 45" cardio  S:  45" Spinning (or other cardio) S:  rest I've also put on about 4-5 lbs. lately.  But, I've been having trouble w/ my red wine, dark chocolate, and peanut butter.  Even with those minor indulgences, my calories should be well under my BMR + exercise.  I've been wondering about how our bodies adapt to exercise over time.  Do we perhaps actually burn fewer calories as we get more fit, even with the same or higher exertion and heart rate?  And then, of course, there's the old "muscle weighs more than fat" theory, and it is possible that we're all more dense but heavier!  I still fit into my smallest size jeans, so I guess it's all good! Tami

Most Active