Running questions

kmayfield
on 2/11/08 2:46 am - Tucson, AZ

have a running question. I have been running a couple of months now. I run indoors. I am up to 5 miles in an hour. I have also put on about 8 pounds. I have had some meds changed but also wondered if you gain weight the better you get at running. I am guessing I am building some muscle in my legs. I am 50 years old and my highest heart rate is 154 right at the end of my run. Is this ok.

Kim
11/2004
268/153
Linn D.
on 2/11/08 7:04 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Kim, I checked my HR at the end of my run this morning and it was right about where yours is.  I'm 42 and I was running a little harder for the last 5 min or so of my run today.  My HR is always about 155 near the end.  Sometimes it's even higher when I'm concentrating on speed work. As far as the weight question goes, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I didn't lose any weight when I trained for my marathon.  I got hungrier and ate more throughout the day, so I guess I ate what I used. You may be gaining muscle, but if your appetite or eating patterns haven't really changed, the most likely culprit would be the med change - especially if your clothes still seem to fit about the same.  It is possible to gain weight and be a runner just like anyone else if you end up eating more than what you really need. Not sure if I was any help, but those have been my experiences. Linn
Scott William
on 2/11/08 9:43 pm
Subtract your age from 220 and you get 170.  That is a rough estimate of your max heart rate.  154 sounds good.  My biggest mistake was starting marathon training at 6 months post-op.  It didn't give me time to really change my habbits and take full advantage of the surgery.  I gained a little when I started the training program.  I think it's fairly common.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kmayfield
on 2/13/08 4:14 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the replies I will keep at it somedays it's really hard but I am not giving up.
Kim
11/2004
268/153
Most Active