Brrr! Today's 5K was brutal

Cassie W.
on 2/10/08 5:39 am
You know you live in Central New York when you can start out the day with sunshine, blue skies and 30 degree temperatures.  Then just an hour later, the windchill is zero; it's snowing; and 26 mph winds are creating whiteout conditions.  We started today's Chilly Chili 5K in brutal conditions, but it was still fun. It took a while for the pack to spread out because we were all huddled together for warmth.  However, the snow-covered hills and blast of cold wind didn't seem to hurt race times.  Maybe we were all in a hurry to finish and make our way to the beer and chili. Surprisingly, I had my best 5K pace at a 10:14 min/mile.  I'll be curious to see what I can run on a flat course with pristine weather conditions.  Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

liz A.
on 2/10/08 5:53 am
I cant believe you ran in these conditions.   on the way to the gym my car thermostat said "4"...thats of course not factoring the wind chill. do you run with a hashing group?  (drinkers with a running problem)  my friend in NC is always talking about them, & just found one locally that I'm thinking of trying out.  she says its pretty fun. 
Cassie W.
on 2/10/08 9:13 am

I'm actually a member of two running clubs - one is definitely hashers and they turn everything into a party.  The other club is my training group.  I enjoy the company of both. I'm not a beer drinker and it only takes a little bit of the hard stuff for me to be legally and obviously drunk, so I'm usually the designated driver.  But, I still have fun. Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 2/10/08 10:02 am - DE
Hey Cassie, I joined a hasher running group also.  I had to sign a waiver since I don't drink any alcohol since the surgery, and I don't eat pasta which is their other main staple.  They are a great group of supportive people, and they always their at the end of the race getting me push myself over the finish line. Glad to hear you were out in the cold weather.  I started think I was the only crazy person left, but actually it is amazing when you go out early on the weekend how many runners are out there braving the elements.  Looking forward to my next big run. Have fun. Rob
Linn D.
on 2/10/08 11:08 am - Missoula, MT
Great Job, Cassie!! Isn't it fabulous when you run well?  I've only done a few runs in bad weather, and it doesn't seem to matter too much. Glad you had a great time and run! Linn
Most Active