weight gain

liz A.
on 2/9/08 9:33 pm
I know I shouldnt weigh myself everyday, but I do.   I seem to be UP a few, now todays additional weight I know what is due to (I simply ate too much yesterday...prob still in me)   I am trying to focus on how I feel rather than the #'s  ( I am feeling much better about myself when I workout)  but I of course the scale would reflect changes too. but...I'm wondering if GAINING a bit is common after starting a new workout program?!? thanks for any insight! oh & yesterday I took my measurements so I can record changes there, which I cannot wait to see ok, thanks again. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/08 1:11 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
I think it is fairly common to see a small gain when you're new to exercising.  I'm no fitness or physiology expert, but from what I understand, the body needs water in order to process the glycogen that's stored in the muscle cells.  When you first start working out, the cells hang onto water to make sure there's enough to flush that glycogen out as you exercise.  But, within a few weeks, your body adjusts.   Regardless of what the scale says, you can only benefit from exercising.  Your best defense against gaining weight over the long-term is to add muscle.  Muscle improves the metabolism so that you burn more fat with every breath you take.  It's a good thing! Tami
liz A.
on 2/10/08 10:22 pm
thanks Tami.  I'm trying to just focus on how I feel (good)  rather than the #'s....its a challenge for me.   my friends are always telling me to throw the scale away.   I just cant do it.   I'm an addict.  :)
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 9:04 am - Miramar Beach, FL

Do you use the weight tracker here on OH?  That's a good way to keep an eye on your weight, and watch for *trends* as opposed to worrying about the number on the scale on just one particular day. Tami

liz A.
on 2/11/08 10:03 pm

I didnt even know there was such  a thing on here.  I will have to find it & start using it.

thanks! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 10:05 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
Scroll down to the very bottom of the page to the "fine print" in blue.  On the top line, "You", at the very end, you'll see My Weight Tracker.  Just click that link.  If you have records of your weight loss, you can even go back and enter that information to make a graph of your entire weight loss history. Tami
liz A.
on 2/11/08 10:22 pm

that is so cool!!  thank you! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/08 10:54 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
There's different thoughts on weighing yourself every day.  On the negative side, if your daily weight can make or break your day, it may not be a good idea to weigh daily.  For some folks, even seeing a slight increase on the scale can ruin their day.  On the positive side, if you weigh daily, you can make small adjustments to your food plan to help avoid any significant regain.  Only you can choose what's right for you.   Me, I'm a daily weigher and have been for almost 2 years now.  I also track my food daily, which has helped me establish a solid relationship between how much I eat and how much I weigh.  It's also helpful when my weight loss slows down, stops completely, or I regain, because then I can look at what I've been doing and make some changes.  At this point, I'm in the home stretch of what I want to lose and feel confident that I can maintain when I'm done.   Stick with that new exercise routine; although it may affect your weight loss in the short-term, it will help keep it off long-term.  You're smart to take measurements, because your shape will change even if your weight stays the same.   Good luck on your continuing journey - Kellie
Most Active