Runners: do you use a HRM?

adorkbl
on 2/9/08 12:19 pm
I am starting my training for a 5K. Since I am still very overweight and just beginning my training, I am nervous about overdoing it. I push myself hard to stick to the routine, but sometimes running for my alloted times really gets me breathing heavy and it take my walking time to recover. (I know, that is the point! lol) Well I am wondering if using a heart rate monnitor would help? Should I slow down if my heart rate gets to high? Or keep chugging away like I am now. I know they say you should be able to carry on a conversation while running. HA! That would NOT be happening for me.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Scott William
on 2/9/08 10:31 pm
There are many who do use one but I never have.  If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the HRM with the GPS Garmin.  I am not sure if I would really run with it or not but it is a nice option.  As far as being able to talk when you run, if you are on a long training run, that is probably the case but if you are doing a speed workout it probably isn't the case.  You could check with your doctor to make sure you are fine to pu**** a little harder but if you just plan on easy running, I don't think you need a HRM.  That being said, once you get a few 5K's under your belt, you may start thinking about improving your time.  Then the HRM may make more sence.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/08 1:06 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
I'm not a runner because arthritis in one knee, but I think a heart rate monitor is a very important tool for *any* type of cardio activity.  Your own heart rate is your best indicator of your fitness level, and allows you to exercise at the right intensity to improve your fitness and reduce fatigue and injury.  I use a basic Polar brand heart rate monitor for Spinning and other cardio work like arc trainer, elliptical, etc.  You might want to check their web site for more information: http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/runtri/hrm.asp?qid=run Tami
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/08 11:12 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I'm not a runner, but I do use a HRM when I do cardio.  It's a basic Polar model and I've been using it for about a year now.  For me, it's a great tool because it helps me know what zones I'm working in, and how hard I need to work to hit my zones.  It also helps me when I want to do interval training, again so I know I'm hitting the right zones.   Regarding whether you should slow down if your heart rate gets too high, I would say yes.  You want to know what your "zones" are and try to stay in whatever zone you are aiming for.  Here's a link to a site for calculating cardio exercise zones - http://www.heartmonitors.com/zone_calc.htm Here's another link to a basic calculator -> http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm - This may be more helpful as it varies "zones" based on your fitness level.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
adorkbl
on 2/11/08 12:04 pm
Thank you everyone for the links and info! I am off to check them out!

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Kristina-M
on 2/15/08 4:30 am
Hello!  I don't frequent this board and I have no advice for you....but I do want you to know you have inspired me!   I think you posted on the LapBand board about the Couch to 5K program recently.  I talked with a friend at work about it and we're BOTH going to do it.  Our goal is to run a 5K by fall.  She's not a WLS pt, but has been working hard to lose.  I did my first walk/run on the 13th and my second today.  I use a treadmill and ran at 4.5mph the first day and 5mph today.  I figure I have to run at 6mph to get done with a 5K near thirty minutes.  sound right? To watch my HR I just count my pulse for 6 seconds and multiply by 10, no fancy monitor yet....   Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and lets keep in touch! 

KM   
Lap Band 11/6/07  SW 282/PREOP 264/CW 210/GW 150)

Most Active