Energy for Workouts... What do you eat/drink?

Amanda K.
on 2/9/08 10:00 am - Leesburg, VA
Hey Ya'll! Today is my first day back in the gym and I was super excited.  I am starting out at ground zero ... with walking.. and I did do a protein bullet before my work out.  I just found I got a bit woozy and I had water with me.. I only did 30 min at 3.0 on the treadmill... but this is the first time I excercized in probably 4-6 weeks as Ive been fighting a stricture... now that Im back on the mend Im back with a vengence   I did have water with me and sipped while working out.  The other thing is Ive been hot all day ever since... I get kind of redfaced when I work out.  So my question is this, what do you eat/drink before/during and after your workouts to sustain energy levels?   Tips for getting back in the game? Thanks everyone and I look forward to getting to know all of you!
 Amanda  

Scott William
on 2/9/08 10:35 pm
I ususlly bring a protein drink with me to the gym and drink it while I work out.  After I get home, I drink some water to catch up on what I lost.  If I am doing well, I drink between 64 and 96 oz per day. Getting back in the game -   Make it enjoyable.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Amanda K.
on 2/10/08 12:05 am - Leesburg, VA
Awesome.... any flavor or reccomendations?
 Amanda  

Earl C.
on 2/10/08 5:44 am - Circleville, OH

I like to eat a meal about an hour before I go to the gym. Usually before work that means Shredded Wheat and a banana. If it's more than a hour I might eat a oatmeal cookie with some peanut butter on it before I head to the gym.  Then while I'm working out I sip on a quart of water mixed with 20 g of whey protein, 10 or 20 g of glutamine, 10 g of creatine and a little splenda and sugar free Kool Aid. I usually just take a regular bottle of water and use a small funnel and mix it in. This makes a great shaker bottle. This little potion seems to really keep me from bottoming out during a workout. Earl

Amanda K.
on 2/10/08 6:58 am - Leesburg, VA
Thanks Earl.
 Amanda  

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/08 11:18 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Of all the things we eat, it takes our bodies the longest amount of time to break down proteins.  So if you are going to eat protein before a workout, I'd suggest allowing at least an hour between the time you eat and when you start to exercise.   I eat quite a few carbs to "support" my exercise habit (I do 2-a-days 3-4 times a week, plus 1-a-day cardio sessions on my off days).  And I'm eating 225-275 grams of carbs a day.  Since our bodies can break down carbs into usable energy faster than fats or proteins, I tend to eat a carb-based snack before I workout.  Usually a piece of fruit, maybe with a little peanut butter, or a container of light yogurt w/ some high-fiber cereal or low-fat granola mixed in.  Most of my pre-workout snacks are between 100-150 calories.   I also make sure I'm properly hydrated by drinking while I'm exercising, plus just staying generally well hydrated throughout the day.   As far as post workout, I usually eat something within 30-45 minutes of when I'm done exercising.  And I always try to eat a combination of protein, fats, and good carbs so my body has the building blocks it needs to "repair" any damage I've done while working out.   Good lucking find a routine that works for you! Kellie

clring5
on 2/12/08 3:01 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I have had great success with a half of a complex carb cracker such as a WASA Rye cracker 30 mins before and a few almonds within 30 mins afterwards. I workout 5 days per week (3 weights and 5 cardio).

Surgery date: Oct 11,2007; Goal Reached July 1, 2008.

Thank God for second chances.

Most Active