Excercise SLACKER...HELP!!

KelBel22
on 2/9/08 8:46 am - OH

I came over to this bored looking for advice.  I am 7 weeks post op and down 43 lbs (80 more to go) and have not excercised even once.  I know this is horrrible and I feel horrible about it.  I was never an excerciser in the past, I HATE IT!!  Does anyone have any tips or advice for me to get me motivated to start something.  I do not belong to a gym, and I live in Ohio, and its about 0 degrees right now. I have been lucky thus far with the weigh coming off, but I know I am going to start to stall soon if I don't start excercising.  Any help you all can give is appreciated!

Linn D.
on 2/9/08 9:42 am - Missoula, MT
Congratulations on your 7 weeks and 43 lbs! The only help I think I can give is to ask you a few questions. 1.  What do you like to do that you won't think of as exercise? 2. Is there any hope of joining a gym?  There are so many different things that are available that it might be easier to find things you can "make" yourself do until you find more things you like. 3.  What do you hate about exercise?  Is it just that it's uncomfortable and you feel like you're being watched or do you really not enjoy things that may be considered exercise?  The thing is, the more you exercise the easier it gets.  I won't lie to you, it doesn't feel too good when you first get started because your body doesn't know how to handle it, but it does learn and it becomes so much easier that you won't believe it was such a struggle to get started. Once you make a space in your day for it and make it a habit you want to be committed to for the sake of your overall health, the easier it will be for you Really, do find something you like.  Get out and walk, ride a bike, get on skis, rent a snowmobile or snowshoes.  I live in Montana, so I do understand living in the colder climates.  There are so many things you can do that can be considered exercise that I just hope you find something you like and stick with it.  You will find better success in the long run.  Not only with weight loss, but also with overall health.  There are so many fabulous things that exercise does for you physiologically that I can't see me ever going back to being sedentary. I'm not sure if I've helped any, but asking for input is a sign that your serious about it and I hope you find something that you can call your own. Linn
KelBel22
on 2/9/08 9:50 am - OH
There is hope of joining a gym, however I am hesitant because like so many other times, I have joined and then don't go, and I have to continue to pay for it each month because they all want AT LEAST a 1 year commitment.   As far as "why" I don't like excercising.....I think it is more of a lazy factor...I am being honest.  Also I think that I was embarassed when I was heavier because I would be out of breathe, or couldnt run on the treadmill, etc.  I know I just need to get up and do something, but I constantly find excuses for something else to do. 
Scott William
on 2/9/08 10:39 pm
I think the one year commitment to a gym is a great idea!  What a great start.  I took the three year commitment and I am down to $21 a month.  Think of the money you are saving on food.  There is your membership.  As you lose weight, you will feel better about yourself and you will want to go to keep it up.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
KTBee
on 2/10/08 12:38 am
Hey you have made the first step.  You are not ignoring the exercise issue.   I used to hate exercise with a passion.  I finally committed that I would exercise every day for 10 days no matter what.  I didn't do a lot.  I walked (slowly) 20 minutes a day.  I figured I could do that.  I scheduled it in on my date book as a priority.  At the end of the 10 days, I hadn't died, wasn't hurting or missing the 20 minutes from my day.  I didn't like exercise but I recommitted.  I started walking a little faster and a little longer.  I would think about the stresses of my day and tighten up and release my muscles as I moved along.  I joined Curves and checked off my 3 workouts a week. Now I work out as hard as I can because I can.  I love it.  Who would have thought I would go from detesting exercise to loving it?  I work out with a trainer and I work out on my own too. It has become my coping with stress mechanism.  It is my time to unwind and veg from responsibilities by just focusing on form and breathing.  I walk like a smaller person now instead of a used to be fat person because I have an awareness of my body size that is realistic.  That comes from the working out.  I even love me and the parts of me that don't look so good because I can feel the muscles below the skin.  If I am sore or tired, I look forward to a brisk walk to work the kinks out instead of plopping in bed and watching tv.  I sleep better and I am damn proud of myself!   Exercise can change your life.  Give it a whirl for 10-14 days, check in here and tell us what you are doing.  You just might surprise yourself! Katy B
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 10:53 am
I am soooooo with you on this, only I'm over a year out now.  I need some kind of exercise and I live in MN...today's high temp was 5 above.  I'm looking into a 24/7 gym here called Anytime fitness.  But also looking at involving my kids in Tae Kwon Do...I posted here about that.  I'm just AFRAID to start.....still think that I'm heavy and don't belong in those places....The headgames come back....  Good LUCK to you!!!
Most Active