Elliptical question?

ChunkyMama
on 2/8/08 8:17 am - AK
I'm really confused and hoping someone here might know more about this.

Recently I bought an elliptical machine. It has a readout for speed, time, miles, calories burned, HR etc.

Yesterday, I was on it for 22 minutes and it said that I had gone 3.36 miles. I'm on the 1st. level because I've not really been getting ANY exercise until it arrived- so I go slower, but then I give myself a good *burst* and for a minute (or even HALF minute LOL) I might get it going to 12 MPH then I will (HAVE to! LOL) slow down. It reads as low as 3 MPH when I'm giving myself some slower movement.

Now, someone told me that is WAY off? Because:

"Just an FYI - 2.5 miles in 20 minutes is VERY fast. And 2 miles in 10 minutes is extremely fast - that'd be 12 MPH! Is it possible you've got it measuring kilometers and not miles? My normal pace is around 4 MPH - which at that, it takes 30 minutes to do 2 miles - and that is a very good workout."

Does anyone know HOW this is calculated? Is it like the EQUIVALENT of 3.36 miles... but NOT like ACTUALLY walking/running 3.36 miles? OR... did I receive a screwed up monitor and it's all off?

Thanks so much for any insight on this- we don't really care about calories burned and such, but we were really watching the miles as a visual of how we're doing. My dh, son and I, have all been working on this thing on a daily basis :)  I plan to use it at least 6 days a week- probably 7.

Thank you!
Linn D.
on 2/8/08 10:37 am - Missoula, MT
Honestly, workouts on an elliptical aren't equivalent to miles - either walked or run.  It really does take less effort on an elliptical to do the same distance.  I don't see any reason to worry about mph or stated calories burned because it's immaterial. If  you're getting your heart rate up and doing bursts of speed, that's really all you're looking for in exercise.  Ellipticals are easy on the joints and when you can get the resistance up more, you're going to get an even better workout. At this point, I'd say all you need to work on is getting your heart rate up for 30 minutes at a time and working up from there.  You're going to be able to increase both your resistance and rpm's in time, and I think that's good enough. Other people may have differing views, but in my opinion the main thing is to get in some good cardio exercise and don't worry about all that other stuff. Lin
Most Active