Question for runners ...

Deanna34
on 2/7/08 3:26 am - Salem, OR
Hello there! I have a question for those of you who run outside on long runs ... do you carry a waist pack?  I know most of you bring gel packs or Gatoraid or whatever ... how do you carry it?  It bothers me to have a large waist pack on, especially if it bounces around or flops up and down.   Anyway, I'm just curious how you carry around your gels and accessories!  I need to figure out a system for me and I need some ideas! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 2/7/08 4:28 am
I started with a single bottle holder that holds a 32 oz bottle.  I would have to sinch the thing so tight that it was uncomfortable.   During my first marathon, I had to buy another to hold all my goodies.  I ran my first with two packs strapped on.  For my last, I wore the fanny pack but carried a bottle in my hand.  I would fill it at the stops and just hold on to it.   I also wear shorts with actual pockets and when I would walk, I would put the water bottle in there.  If I were to buy another one I would buy one of the four bottle holders to distribute the weight better.  I too, couldn't stand the bottle flopping around in the back. Way too much stress on the GI track.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Molly Mae
on 2/7/08 5:22 am - WA
On February 7, 2008 at 11:26 AM Pacific Time, Deanna34 wrote:
Hello there! I have a question for those of you who run outside on long runs ... do you carry a waist pack?  I know most of you bring gel packs or Gatoraid or whatever ... how do you carry it?  It bothers me to have a large waist pack on, especially if it bounces around or flops up and down.   Anyway, I'm just curious how you carry around your gels and accessories!  I need to figure out a system for me and I need some ideas! Deanna  :)
Wow, I do not really run at all but I WANT to!  But speaking of bounces around and flops up and down...Just wondering how many bras you have to wear? Not trying to be crass but that is a real challenge for me. In obesity AND now that I'm fit. Dang. 
Deanna34
on 2/7/08 8:10 am - Salem, OR
Hi Molly!   I'm the queen of bouncing boobs when I'm running!  Ha, ha!   I have major issues in that department.  Finding a bra to fit me was a huge challenge!  Once I got one that fit me, I thought I was doing fairly good until I caught a glimpse of myself in a window while I was running and wowweeee, I was bouncing all over the place!  I guess it didn't feel as bad as it looked!  Anyway, I usually wear a sports bra with a tight fitting tank that has a built in sports bra and then a t-shirt or regular tank top over that.  It seems to hold things a bit more steady! I also have to wear this combination in Spin classes too ... otherwise I start a "flap-flap" problem when my legs are pedaling and causing a whole other bouncing problem between my legs and my boobs!  I bet you are thoroughly laughing at my visual, huh?!  I hate having big boobs!   Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Molly Mae
on 2/7/08 11:07 am - WA
OMGosh! I am LMAO! I can totally relate. Only on OH.com. can we have these shameless conversations. ol, I'm rolling here!
Linn D.
on 2/7/08 11:02 am - Missoula, MT
I have this problem also and get sores underneath from sweaty bras rubbing the skin.  Anytime I run more than 5 miles I absolutely have to have a 2-bra combination or the sores get pretty bad.  It's usually a good sports bra under an exercise tank with a shelf bra in it.   I like the Hind Motion Control bras.  You buy them according to bra size and they have hook and eye closures in the back.  They're also somewhat padded and pretty comfortable.  Each of us had to try things out for ourselves to get the combination that works for us, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to get by without using 2. Linn
Molly Mae
on 2/7/08 11:10 am - WA
Hey Linn! I know the raw skin under the boobage is not a problem exclusive to us former fatties,lol. I know elite athletes who complain of this too!  Thanks for the tip on the bra. I love the name...Motion Control. Sounds great! Thanks very much. Sounds like a worthwhile investment.
kypdurran
on 2/7/08 6:35 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I bought a fanny pack at Academy sports store that has enough room for a load of gel packs, my man purse wallet, my pocket PC and my keys.    I swing it around so the buckle is in the front and the actual pack is in the back,  It does flop around a bit and I do have to tie the zippers shut but after about a mile I forget it's even there.  
MaryS
on 2/7/08 7:27 am - Long Island, NY
I've been down the same road as Scott with the larger bottle.  I've also used the belt with the four bottle evenly distributed around the belt.  I don't really like running with the belt, but it is a necessary evil.  For the marathon I got the Race Ready shorts (http://raceready.com/).  When you have a supported race, where you have water available, I think they are great. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Deanna34
on 2/7/08 8:22 am - Salem, OR
Thanks for that website reference, Mary!  I  checked out those shorts and they look AWESOME!  Do you like them?  Do they seem to run big or small or right on?  I think I'm gonna order some!  Yippeee! Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Most Active