Spinning Enthusiasts Shout Out!

Molly Mae
on 2/6/08 7:48 am - WA
Ok guys, I really want to try spinning. What can you tell me? I use a very smooth recumbent bike with a nice cooshie seat for my regular cardio. Great workout. I can imagine Spinning is much better but am a little intimidated to get started.  Any thought on going to a spin class for the first time?
Rob S.
on 2/6/08 9:43 am - DE
I have been spinning for over four years, and have also become an avid outdoor cyclist.  Spinning has been my crutch.  My best advice to you is check in with the spinning instructor (get there about 10 minutes early).  The instructor will help fit you correctly to the bike.  Own up to the fact that you are new to spinning.  The instructor will help to keep you at ease when everyone else is busting up hills.  Have fun! Rob
Molly Mae
on 2/6/08 10:34 am - WA
LOL...Oh yeah baby, I'lll own up to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing. I love trying new things but hate the learning curve sometimes. Thanks Rob. I'll get back to you with the review.
Deanna34
on 2/6/08 12:14 pm - Salem, OR
Me, me, I'm a spinner!  I love Spin class!   I was totally scared the first time I took the class!  But, like Rob said, go early and have the instructor help you fit the bike to you.  Your "seat" will hurt like heck after your first class!  It takes quite awhile before it doesn't hurt so much!   Also, make sure you have a towel of some sort because you will sweat buckets.  Pull your hair back out of your face because there is nothing that drive me more nuts than having wet, sweaty hair stick in my face!  If you wear shorts, wear tighter fitting ones otherwise the legs tend to get caught on the seat when you stand up and sit down.  I actually ripped a pair that way!  I usually wear a tank top when I go because I get HOT!  Oh, and bring water, you'll need it.   You will love it though!  It's such a great workout and it feels amazing to know you ride so many miles and burn so many calories!  I wish I lived by you, I'd go with you!!! Deanna  :) 

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/08 12:36 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
I love Spinning!  Just about a year ago, I attended a seminar at my gym on "food as fuel".  It was basically about metabolism, and how to improve it.  It was led by the gym nutritionist and one of the Spinning instructors.  Many of the attendees were members of the Spinning classes.  I was amazed at how fit they were, and kind of intimidated by them.   A few days later, I was chatting with a lady on the next elliptical machine, saying how I thought Spinning was for "elite" athletes, but that it looked fun.  A guy overheard me, and came over to talk to me about it.  He had just gotten his certification as a Spinning instructor, and was very enthusiastic.  He assured me that Spinning can be adapted to just about any fitness level.  It's all about the amount of resistance that you select, and the pace (or cadence) of your pedalling.  He encouraged me to try it.  I did, and it was a turning point in my fitness endeavors!  I loved it from the beginning.  It's so much more challenging to exercise in a group, getting pumped up by the group dynamics, with the energetic music, and ambient lighting.  I got to know the other people in the class, and we all encourage each other.  Then people were talking about other fitness classes, which I had to try, and so on.... Try it, you'll like it! Tami
Kevin A.
on 2/6/08 12:53 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I have to say I love spinning too!! I have not done much of it the past few months because all the miles I've been doing running!! But as soon as marathon day is over I'm back spinning!!

I tryed a spinning class Pre-Op 380lbs!! I lasted a 1/2 hour before it felt like the little bike seat was going to cut me in half!!!

You will be great!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Brian Meiers
on 2/7/08 12:24 am - SF Bay Area, CA
RNY on 08/18/04 with

Molly, I'll echo what the others have said;  go early to meet the instructor and get fit for your bike.  Proper fit is the key to enjoying time on the bike. and remember that it's okay to be new at something.  after a few classes you'll be a pro!! Good luck and have fun! Brian

Most Active