Just completed my first "offical" workout

Christina F.
on 2/5/08 4:43 pm - Lebanon, OR
Hi fellow exercisers, That sounds good. I offically worked out today for the first time at a real gym. I have had a hard time taking the first step, I think because I am afraid of failure, or that I won't stick it out. I am now almost 11 months post-op. I have lost 210 lbs total from my highest weight just before surgery. I was so heavy and had so manymedical issues that I was often in a wheel chair. i couldn't stand up for 5 minutes straight.  now look at me.........I completed 20 mins of cardio, and then worked on some weight training. I am doing a 30 free trial at the gym, so I don't feel pressured by anyone. The manager offered to train me for free for the first month after I told her my story. She wants me to succeed. She also wants me to start out slow and then work my way up to more minutes, reps, and weights. I think I am a little bit excited, but the most important thing is I want it to last. This is part of why I posted in here, because I know most of you understand some of what I am going through. Thanks for letting me share, Christina

Rob S.
on 2/5/08 7:54 pm - DE
The first step inside a gym is the hardest.  Now that you've done that, you now have to just make it a habit, part of your life-style.  It sounds like you did real well with your first session.  I would take advantage of the manager's offer for some training.  It can be very motivational, and is good to know someone is looking for you to show up on those days when you feel like maybe I'll take today off. Great job.  Keep us posted with your progress. Rob
Christina F.
on 2/6/08 8:17 am - Lebanon, OR
Hi Rob, thanks for the encouragement!!! I am super excite because I just exercised at home. I did a 30 minute workout to a Richard Simmons DVD. I like it becuase he has all diferent kinds of people on there, and the music is fun and upbeat. It is called Sweatin to the oldies. It made working out fun. I almost forgot I was exercising part of the time. I was amazed that I could do the whole 30 mins. I thought aabout quitting a couple of times, but I did it. YIPEE!!!!! Now that I know I can do it I have no excuses. Tomorrow I will go to the gym again and do my whole workout with cardio and weight training. I am excited, this is two days in a row. i can hardly believe it. Yeah!!!  Christina

Deanna34
on 2/7/08 12:45 am - Salem, OR
Hi Christina!  I'm so glad to see your post here ... you are amazing!  Look at how far you've come!  I remember your last support group meeting before you had surgery and you were so scared.  Now look at you!  You're a whole new woman! Another exercise video that I really like are the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series.  They are so good and very inspiring.  She is really good at motivating you and you get a good workout in. Good for you!!!  Keep up the great work!  You're doing awesome! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Christina F.
on 2/7/08 1:24 am - Lebanon, OR
Hi Deanna, I remember that meeting so well, I was scared to death.... Now that I look back on it, I feel like I almost didn't have a choice, I was so sick and tired, who knows what my life would have been like with out this surgery. Also I see how poor the quality of my life was, I was only getting worse too!!!!  Thank You for being at that meeting that day, being able to listen to you talk, and ask you questions made the hope for the future so "real" to me. You played an important part in helping me overcome those fears, you will never know how much you helped me reach the decisions I made to have this surgery. I hope you realize how much of an inspiration you are to me, and many others as well.  Thanks for being there!!! Christina PS I will check out the the video you suggested. Also I am going to the gym again today to do my workout. YIPEE!!!! 

Most Active