26 miles DONE!!!

Kevin A.
on 2/4/08 2:57 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
It was a long hard run!!! 7 hours and 50 minutes of running/walking!! I can't tell you how happy I was to finish!! The first 9-10 miles I was ok just a little pain but the last 16 miles were just hard. My group started with 11 runners but only 5 finished!!

Just 3 more short runs (8-10 miles) and then Marathon day!!

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/itscyndi/26%20miles/
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Rob S.
on 2/4/08 4:10 am - DE
All right Kevin, you've got to explain something to me.  If you ran 26 miles, then what is the thrill going to be on Marathon day?    I'm starting to train, but don't ever expect to go over 20 before the actual event.  BTW, amazing job.  Good luck with the real day. Rob
Kevin A.
on 2/4/08 6:22 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well my coach says we ran the 26 miles in training so on marathon day there no question I can we can do 26 miles!! I heard other people tell me if you can do 20 miles then you can finish a marathon!! The past 2 months I've done 17, 20, 23, 26 miles of long runs!!! But none of that means nothing if I don't finish the marathon!! I have no doubts now I can run a marathon!! Now I just need to recover for the next few week and get ready to run the real thing!!!

You train so hard I know you will do great on your marathon day!!

Kevin

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Cassie W.
on 2/4/08 8:26 am
Wow!  With all those long runs logged, there's no doubt that you can go the distance on marathon day.  Those long training runs really boost your confidence so you can truly enjoy the thrill of the marathon. Enjoy the big day! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Kevin A.
on 2/4/08 9:01 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thank you!! I'm looking forward to the excitement of race day!!! It been 6 long months of training!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/08 1:22 pm - Albany, OR
That's awesome.  I can't' wait until my stamina is up more so I can really start enjoying life.  I'm only 3 months out from surgery and can't wait for all the snow here to melt, so I can enjoy the outdoors again.  I really can't stand being outside in this weather! My goal is a triathlon and I really hope I can build up my endurance for it!
Kevin A.
on 2/6/08 9:31 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thank you!! It does feel great to be active!!

You can do it!! I never thought I would be training for a marathon! But here I am??

kypdurran
on 2/5/08 11:34 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Congrats man!  That's awesome!  Living in California you probably had to run some hills too.  heh heh.   We are hill deficient in Louisiana so pretty much all my training is flat.

I did my 20 miler last weekend and I'm on my taper right now to my event on the 24th.   I'm following a training schedule that stops at 20 so the first time I do the 26.2 will actually be on race day.   I have no doubt that I could finish though.   I ran the entire 20 miler last weekend and finished in around 3:38.   That included the 25 minute colon blow that I experienced halfway throught he run.  :)   I'm sure glad that port-o-potties were lining the streets in downtown Baton Rouge in preperation for the Mardi Gras parade crowds!  I guess if I can keep up my pace I'll be able to finish the real deal in 4:30.  Slow, but I don't care.   Crossing that finish line is all I care about.  

Once again congrats and best of luck on race day!

Kevin A.
on 2/6/08 9:39 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thank You!!

4:30 is slow??? Wow!! I had a slim hope to finish in the 5's maybe 6 hours!!

There are alot of hills but most of our training runs was mostly flat!! I added some hill training to my workouts because the first 2 miles of the L.A. Marathon is up hilll!!

Good Luck with your marathon!!
kypdurran
on 2/6/08 11:12 pm - Baton Rouge, LA
I was reading on a running board some assclown 2:30 marathoner was *****ing about the 'dumbing down' of marathons and how the "charity" events were runing the sport.   He was blabbering about how anything over 4 hours meant that the person hadn't trained like they supposed to and they should pay their dues on 5 and 10Ks.  I wanted to respond but decided not to because I'm not sure what good it would have done.   Too bad he didn't post a picture because I would gladly go punch him in the kidneys right before the race so he could be all 'slow' and in the back with me.  :)
Most Active