Strength Training or Cardio???

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 6:22 am, edited 1/29/08 6:28 am - St. Charles, MO
There are a couple schools of thought when it comes to exercising.  I hear that strength training is so important for building muscle and cardio is great for burning calories.  So, when I started exercising, I ONLY did cardio, which I've been doing for about 2 months now.  I've lost 30 lbs and still need to lose 109 lbs, so I've been doing cardio classes and ellipticals 5x/week at 30 minutes/day.  I'm really confused about strength training, whether or not I should or need to be incorporating that into my workouts.  I really don't want to build muscle-I'm bulky as it it. Any advise appreciated!
Linn D.
on 1/29/08 12:21 pm - Missoula, MT
Hi Charleen, Although it seems as though there are 2 schools of thought, there really aren't.  Both have their places.  Cardio exercise is necessary to for cardiovascular health including cholesterol regulation.  It's not just for burning calories.  That said, the minimum recommendation is 30 minutes a day of cardio. Strength training has it's own place.  Some people will tell you having more lean muscle increases the metabolism, but if you actually look at the numbers, the amount of extra calories burned really is negligible.  The purpose of strength training is just that, building or maintaining muscle strength.  Lighter weights and higher repetitions will not build mass.  One thing people use instead of machines are the resistance band exercises.  They help build strength by using motions that are more natural to the body than those the machines use. I also have a great deal of muscle mass already and don't have any interest in building any more.  I use some functional strength training once or twice a week, but the focus of my workouts is cardio training.  I get strength training when I use higher resistance on the bike, run hills, or swim. Hope this helps some. Linn
Scott William
on 1/29/08 1:26 pm
I can tell you that I have an easier time controling my weight when I work harder at strength training.  I really think that the extra muscle helps burn the calories all day and not just when working out.  I also like the running because of the many benefits including strengthening the heart. My ideal workout is 3.5 hard miles (30 min) and 30 minutes of weight training.  I don't waste time in the gym either.  It is one exercise to the next.  I will also start with 10 minutes of stretching.  I can have a kick ass workout in 70 minutes.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 10:20 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I'm from the school of thought that a complete fitness program includes three things:  (1) cardio, (2) strength training, and (3) flexibility work (stretching, pilates, yoga - whatever works for you).  We get different types of benefit from each of these things that leads to overall improvements in our health. I had surgery in October 2005.  I started going to the gym in January 2006.  For almost all of 2006, I did almost exclusively cardio work, working up to 50-60 minutes of cardio 5x per week.  My weight loss slowed down considerably in late 2006.  In early 2007, I started doing strength training twice a week and cut my cardio back to 4-5 sessions at 40-45 minutes per session.  I lost another 30 pounds during 2007, but my shape really changed quite noticeably because of the strength training.   I'm happy with how my exercise routine has progressed.  Doing a lot of cardio in my "honeymoon" period helped me maximize my weight loss.  But when my weight loss slowed down, I think adding the strength training really helped, especially in terms of my appearance.  I still have lots of excess skin, but I'm gonna look great after that's take care of with plastic surgery!   Just think about what feels right for you and do it.  There's no one answer that's right for all of us!  Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
marsheeeee
on 1/29/08 11:12 pm - Jackson, MS
My only advice is to check with your surgeon before you start strength training.  You had your surgery in December, right?  My surgeon said not to lift weights or work the machines until 8 weeks had passed.   I had an RNY, so lap band might be different.   Now I do both cardio and strength training and I haven't had any problems.   Marcia
Kevin A.
on 1/30/08 3:55 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I really think the answer is both work hand in hand with becoming healthy!! You need cadio to get the weight off but you also need muscle to help build a foundation for your skin! You lose weight after surgery your losing muscle also!! It will help in the long run to do both.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Earl C.
on 1/30/08 6:51 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Charleen

At this stage, the strength training is more about "maintaining" the muscle you have, than building new muscle. It's almost impossible to build on the extremely low calorie diets we’re on after WLS.

I’m still amazed when I see women say they don’t want to build muscle or get bulky. It’s just not that easy, even for the genetically gifted, so don’t worry about it.

I don’t think you have to do anything extreme or lift weights 6 days a week. But 2 or 3 full body workouts a week can do the average person a lot of good.

Good luck

Earl

Brian Meiers
on 2/1/08 3:08 am - SF Bay Area, CA
RNY on 08/18/04 with
I keep it simple by doing both.  Both are beneficial and help me to feel healthy.  My primary sport (bike racing) is an endurance sport, but the resistance work I do helps me in a lot of ways.  To avoid bulking up with resistance workouts, try lighter weight and higher reps. Keep up the great work! Bri
Chris G.
on 2/4/08 4:08 am
All exercise is beneficial, no matter if it's aerobic, strength training, flexibility, stability training, or housework, if you're burning calories, then do it. With that being said...women are not going to build muscle like women body builders just by lifting weights, unless you're taking steroids. Don't not lift weights because you're scared of that, strength training is an important aspect of exercise and health.

Aerobic, strength training, & flexibility work are all important in becoming healthy. Aerobic exercise is great for the entire body in that it can boost immunity, lower blood pressure, lower resting heart rate (a good thing), and helps in just about everything else. Strength training works by building muscle whi*****reases your metabolism while you're not working out and helps to fill out your skin. Flexibility helps in injury prevention and functional range of motion ( plus it feels good).

The main thing I'm trying to stress is that all exercise is beneficial and all should be incorporated. But, make sure your surgeon is ok with you doing strength work so soon after your surgery. If you had surgery in December, you should still be concentrating on aerobic exercises (like the ones you're doing) and wait for your MD to give you the clear.
Most Active