Marathon Training

marsheeeee
on 1/27/08 11:00 pm - Jackson, MS
Hello, all.  I need some advice.  I've signed up for marathon training (Marathon Makeover - don't know if it's national or local) with the goal being to do the Chicago marathon.  I understand that they've had WLS patients running in previous marathons, and I'm seeing on this board that this is true all over.  I now weigh 146 pounds, am running a little bit on the treadmill at the gym, and working out 3 - 4 days a week -cardio and weights (plus doing other stuff outside the gym).  This is a 36-week program, designed for everyone from couch potatoes to experienced runners, and they teach nutrition, running, stretching, hydration, and have an exercise program - all that good stuff.  However, as a recipient of an RNY, I would like to know if there is anything I need to take into consideration or know that they might not take into consideration?  What advice do you have?  (Note that this is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and am doing it now that I am no longer fat and getting fit, I saw an opportunity.)  (Also, I am in good health otherwise - no heart problems, no longer diabetic, good cholesterol.) Thanks for your help. Marcia
eliza1128
on 1/27/08 11:14 pm - Little Rock, AR
I can give you no advice as I am  a short distance runner.  I can say, if you've always wanted to do it. do it!  I think it's great.  Not to mention, it's powerful knowing you have done something that less than 1% of the entire population has done.  I notice you're in Jackson.  You should come over for the Little Rock Marathon sometime.  it's a good time!  (they have a 5K, 4-man marathon relay, 1/2 and full marathon--something for everyone!) My husband is a 1/2 marathon runner, so I understand the time commitment to long distance running.  I'm proud of you for making this choice.  Eliza
marsheeeee
on 1/28/08 3:21 am - Jackson, MS
Thanks for the encouragement, Eliza.  Let me see how I do in Chicago, then I'll definitely consider Little Rock.  I have friends who live there, so it would be a great excuse to go visit them.  We had the Blues Marathon here in Jackson a couple of weeks ago.  If this works out I'll participate in that one next year. Marcia
Linn D.
on 1/28/08 11:10 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Marcia, There are a few others on this board who have also done marathons or are now training for one.  I just finished my first 2 weeks ago. One piece of advice I have is do ALL of your long runs.  If you have to miss a run, make it one of the shorter runs of the week. Get good shoes that fit your foot type and running gait.  I NEVER get blisters when I use the right shoes, which is pretty amazing since I have wide feet.  Also get good running clothes.  I tend to get sores under my breasts no matter what bra I use, but there are a couple of combinations that I've found that keep them at bay better.  This will take some trial and error - especially as your runs get longer. I get the runner's trots pretty badly, and I wouldn't be surprised if other RNY patients have this same trouble.  One thing that I learned is to only drink water instead of using the electrolyte drinks.  I used them early in my race and had a lot of cramping and diarrhea.  When I switched to water, I did much better - went 8 miles without a potty stop.  I figure I spent at least half an hour in the porta johns with diarrhea and cramps - for a while I needed to use them every 3 miles or so. I also get sick to my stomach when I drink when I exercise, so I only drink when I'm actually thirsty.  I don't have any trouble with muscles cramps either. Your feet will hurt after the long runs, but mine are normally better by the next day. Marathon training requires a significant time committment, so be prepared to have most of your  Saturdays or Sundays spoken for. One interesting note: you might find yourself getting a little emotional during the race.  In fact, when I got to mile 21 I began to cry because it was a milestone I had never reached before, and at that point I KNEW I was going to finish. I wish you all the best.  It really is quite an amazing feeling to finish a marathon! I'll even give you a link to some of my photos.  This was at the Rock and Roll Arizona and they have professional photographers along the route. http://www.asiorders.com/go.asp?28751266 All my best to you in this endeavor!  It is well worth the effort. Linn
marsheeeee
on 1/29/08 12:01 am - Jackson, MS
Thanks so much for the advice, Linn!  I'm going to print it out and keep it with me.  I prefer water to Gatorade anyway, so that won't be too difficult advice to follow.  I'll check out your pictures when I get home - they have us locked out of a lot at the office.  I am actually looking forward to this...I know I'll be able to do it.   I have two things motivating me - one is the obvious one, the other is that my little brother doesn't think I can do it!   That is ALWAYS a good motivator for me (LOL).   (Yeah, we're both in our 50's, but the dynamic is still there....) Marcia
kypdurran
on 2/1/08 4:38 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You may want to pick up a copy of "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham.   It's an excellent book with some great training plans, tips on avoiding injuries, nutrition and hydration guidelines.   I've read it twice and have loosely used his training plans for a marathon I'm running next month.

marsheeeee
on 2/2/08 2:57 am - Jackson, MS
Thanks. I'll check it out. Marcia
Most Active