Are you dreaming of a 5K run?

Kathy S.
on 1/23/08 3:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
I have a lot of members email me and no matter if they are pre-op, post-op or a vet they all say they want to do at least one 5K run. Everyone asks, how do I get started.  Here is a link to an article that appeared in my LifeTime Fitness magazine.  It tells you step by step how to train for a 5K. Keep in mind, if you can't run you can walk my friends Here is the article: http://experiencelifemag.com/issues/january-february-2008/fit-body/3-months-to-your-first-5k.html Good luck  If you are thinking I am nuts and there is no way, just promise me to bookmark this link and I promise you the day will come when you will look it up and say "yes I can", "yes I can", "yes I can". Take care, Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

inofwls
on 1/23/08 7:44 am
Thank you very much, my area  Bariactric community along with several hospital in my area have a 5k for Obesity prevention, in May 2008, The link will help me a lot.

-Maryama

"Beauty is not in the face, Beauty is a light in the heart"
          -Khalil Gibran

Linn D.
on 1/23/08 8:57 am - Missoula, MT

Kathy, The one I used was from Prevention magazine and was called a walk to jog program.  For those who don't think they can jog even 1/2 mile, this might also be a good suggestion.  In fact, I skipped the 5K and did my first race as a 10K after I built up the ability to run for 5 miles at a time. I found it again online by doing a Google search using  "walk to jog Prevention" and it was the first one on the list.  The article is actually titled "Burn Fat Faster" and it really worked for me. Just another option for those considering getting into running. Linn

Scott William
on 1/24/08 12:07 am

I didn't read the article but for me the biggest thing is to SIGN UP.  Do it ahead of time and it will be easier to get motivated to train.

Check coolrunning.com or search for local running clubs.  They will have info.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 1/24/08 4:45 am - Missoula, MT

Scott, I agree with you there!  After my marathon I signed up for a triathlon in April.  If I hadn't, there's no way I would have made myself get into the water!  I can't see spending the money and not following through. Linn

Mamaz2ndbaby
on 1/27/08 6:33 am
Thanks for the link.  I signed up for a 5K thats taking place late April.  I'm a new runner and have a question for whomever cares to answer.  Why is it soooo hard to jog on the track or outside for that matter?  I can jog 20 minutes without stopping to walk on the treadmill at around a speed between 4.0-5.0 but on an outside track can't get past 5 minutes or 1, maybe 2 laps around the track.  Any insight? 
JeremyGentles
on 1/28/08 7:54 am - Johnson City, TN
Good question.... On the track outside you are moving the entire weight of your body forward. On the treadmill you are not really moving your entire body weight forward, rather you are simply moving your legs to keep up with the pace of the treadmill. Does that make sense?

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

marsheeeee
on 1/27/08 10:34 pm - Jackson, MS
Mamas2ndbaby, I'm wondering the same thing.  I can go 10 minutes on the treadmill - which works out to about 1/2 mile in my case, and can make it around the track, but I've tried running outside, and can't do it.  Is it because the track and treadmill are cushioned?  I got my shoes from a sports shoe shop, and they're wonderful indoors, but do I need different shoes for the outdoors? Marcia 
Mamaz2ndbaby
on 1/28/08 8:19 am
Marsheeee, glad I'm not alone...Jeremy, thanks for answering.  So, would you say that I should hold out on the outside running until I lose more weight? 
Kathy S.
on 1/28/08 12:50 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Hi, I asked Jeremy to answer your question since I don't run much due to bad knees....but I would not take on outside running until you lose some of your weight.  That way there will be less stress on your body If you have any other questions, let us know!! Take care, Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active