Disney race report.

Scott William
on 1/21/08 2:04 am
Here is the link    Warning.  It is long and has lots of pics. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1694918
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
rgmuckli
on 1/21/08 3:38 am
That is a good post you should be very proud of yourself. I am going for my first marathon in May and my goal is to just fini**** I would like to run in the disney marathon in 2010 once I have run a couple of marathons and save some money for that vaction. Any advice of how someone would try to run 1/2 marathon one day and a full marathon the next day? Did you use any gels while running? Any advice you can give for gastric bypass people running marathons would be great. Keep up the good work.
Scott William
on 1/21/08 3:53 am
For my first two marathons, I used 4 or 5 gels per race and they worked alright.  I just didn't like the gastric issues they gave me.  For the half and full last weekend, all I used was powerade and 1 granola bar.  That worked fine for me for most of the time.  I still have not figured out something that doesn't cause and issues. As far as running the half and then the full.  I did moderate back to back long runs.  One weekend I would do 18 miles one day and the next weekend I may hove done a 10 and a 12 just to get ready for back to back runs.  Most of the time I don't run on consecutive days.  The ice bath was huge.  It really helped recover quickly.  Lastly, I follow the Galloway method of walk/run.  that is easier on the body and recovery is quicker.  Good luck in May and let us know how it turns out.
Scott

rgmuckli
on 1/21/08 4:08 am
On January 21, 2008 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, Scott William wrote:
For my first two marathons, I used 4 or 5 gels per race and they worked alright.  I just didn't like the gastric issues they gave me.  For the half and full last weekend, all I used was powerade and 1 granola bar.  That worked fine for me for most of the time.  I still have not figured out something that doesn't cause and issues. As far as running the half and then the full.  I did moderate back to back long runs.  One weekend I would do 18 miles one day and the next weekend I may hove done a 10 and a 12 just to get ready for back to back runs.  Most of the time I don't run on consecutive days.  The ice bath was huge.  It really helped recover quickly.  Lastly, I follow the Galloway method of walk/run.  that is easier on the body and recovery is quicker.  Good luck in May and let us know how it turns out.
What brand gels have your tried. I have not tried Gatorade yet or powderade in fear of dumping. I saw that have that new G2 low calorie one. Have your ever tried that? I did find a gel called Hammer Gel with only 2 grams of sugar so I am hoping I won't dump off of that. I have a 7 mile run on Saturday and I was going to try the gel for the first time then. Another question. I am worried during my marathon I will need more water then was is needed. I have a hydration pack. Does anyone where this during a marathon or would I look like a moron with it on?
Scott William
on 1/21/08 11:47 pm
I have only used powergel which is the same brand that makes power bars.  I just saw the commercial for the G2.  It looks interesting.  I have not tried it but I will.  If I were you, I'd try the gel some time when you are home and not planning to do anything.  It may tell you to not even try it on a run or it may work well.  I have seen a few people who wear the hydration pack (like a camel back)  and there are many more who wear the fuel belt.  You would not look like a moron either way but it is more common to wear the fuel belt on the waist.  Even if you did look like a moron, who cares.  Probably nobody.
Scott

Linn D.
on 1/21/08 3:52 am - Missoula, MT
Scott, I can't believe you remember that much about running the race!  I couldn't tell you much about mine except seeing family along the route and testing my first ever cliff shot gel. I'm glad you had a wonderful time!  Congratulations on another race finished!!! Linn
Scott William
on 1/21/08 11:49 pm
I took a camera and did short video clips of how I was feeling every few miles.  That helped.  I also wrote about it as soon as was practical after the race.  It really was a great time and thanks.
Scott

Cassie W.
on 1/21/08 8:22 am
Scott, I had to laugh at your opening.  My friend Marlee and I were sitting in the Big River Grille and Brewery on the Boardwalk watching all the people come in with their Goofy medals and feeling very jealous because we only had the Donald.  I think we're Goofy enough to give it a try in 2009 or 2010. Congratulations on finishing both!  It's not easy running through those intestinal issues!  You should be very proud. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 1/21/08 11:52 pm
I don't know what was worse.  The blisters were bad but I think I could have run through them.  The intestinal issues were what really slowed me down.   I say, go for the Goofy sometime.  I didn't get rid of the bug yet but won't do it next year.  I may do the hald and make a 4 of 5 day trip this time.  9 days this time was too long (expensive).  Thanks a lot
Scott

rmrowland_74
on 1/21/08 9:28 am
I am so proud of you. You are an ispiration to many. I ran my second half marathon in houston and it was great however in December I ran my first and hurt my knee therefore I had to run slow. The crowd was wonderful. I am still proud I ran the 13.1 miles in 2:54  and enjoyed the race. I love dulathons and 10K. I am training for a dualathon in March and a 10K. Keep up the great work and I will keep in touch. I was told by two ortho MD not the be a marathon runner. I was a little depressed however I will try to continue shorter runs.
Most Active